Lets Teach Each Other To Fish - A Grand Experiment

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to try something that may bring this site to a new level of sophistication not enjoyed anywhere on the net. I need your help.
Please view the following image:
humper2.jpg
And continue reading the following.
Lets Teach Each Other To Fish - A Grand Experiment
The following material contains part of a bottom contour map for a lake or reservoir that may very well be in your favorite lake; certainly the bottom configurations are common to many bodies of water. Also included is a template of conditions. What we propose, is to have each of us participate in the answers to What, Where, How, and maybe a little of the Why on catching fish.
Please study the Bottom Countour Map carefully, and use the Conditions Template to describe how you would approach various situations throughout the year. Comments are welcome as to your specfic experience, or how you might approach the situation if you ran into same.
Make a contribution if you will, and/or share in the collective knowledge of all participants. Then of course, question and answer sessions can follow each contribution, broadening our understanding even further.
Add your own contour situations. As time goes by, and if this experiment is successful, it will be expanded to encompass many, many bottom contour situations including lakes and rivers; continued along the same line of helping ourselves. We may even establish a separate board for these discussions purposes?
The scope of this experiment is tremendously broad, the contributions obviously very valuable, and the answers/contributions can go on for some time for any one mapping situation.
Thank you.

Example Conditions:
Time of Year by Week (I.E. 2nd week in July – Pick your own) =
Time of Day ( Morning – Noon – Afternoon - Evening – Night ) =
Wind - Compass Direction =
Wind Speed MPH =
Weather:
Sunny
Partly Cloudy
Cloudy
Rain
Mention the number of days of stable weather; I.E. 1st day of Cold Front, or 3 days of Sunny conditions, etc..
Water Clarity:
Clear
Slightly Stained
Stained
Heavily Stained
Boat Position/Control/Movement ( Refer to Grid Alpha & Numeric Location)
Lure/bait/rig/method used
Presentation
Any other notable circumstance/observation you want to share such as what species you are after, or “things” going on in the lake at the time that may not be recognizable to the casual eye, etc..

Aggressive experiment, and I understand if it is a bit much, but thought this might be a nice idea.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd use dynamite under any/all conditions. What do I win?:::

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Noble idea LukeWayne. Kinda of curious to see if anyone takes to it. Pretty hefty experiment.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a lot of typing and shiite. If anyone has a question about bass and wants to refer me back to the pic, I'll tell you what I'd do.

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member

Well looking at this, what would you do for bass? Where would you start? Say, sunny day, mid summer. Calm winds.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd troll bottom bouncers and spinners in 12-16 fow. Like any good north dakotan would.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Well looking at this, what would you do for bass? Where would you start? Say, sunny day, mid summer. Calm winds."

That 10 ft Island would be your friend. Smallmouth like sun, I'd pound that flat from southwest to east with a spinnerbait, weightless Superfluke,etc and a fast retrieve. With LM, flat early and progress to drop off with deep running cranks. Casting parallel to the point. This is assuming minimal vegetation. With thicker salad, weedless plastics all around. Topwater in low light then "panic/pause" retrieve as the sun rose.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd troll bottom bouncers and spinners in 12-16 fow. Like any good north dakotan would.

Whoa, that shallow would take to much focus of the suds, 20-25 is safer :::

That fishidy site seems to be popular for devils lake, sakakawea not so much

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As with ANY new body of water I fish, I start out with the idea that walleyes prefer windy points regardless of the sky conditions. I would troll (which is NOT my prefered technique) spinners or lindy rigs along the shoreline points, checking both shallow and deep, and all around the islands until I caught an indicator fish. If I can catch another fish along the same stretch of water on the next 2-4 passes, I would break out the jigs and pick the spot apart to determine if there is a school there. If I catch nothing more in say a half hour to 45 minutes of this, It's back to trolling for this guy and on to the next spot. If I catch nothing along the shore points or islands, it's off to the flats. At which point it's either stick with the spinners and such or break out the cranks and search for fish. I'm not a crankbait dragging fan, but will do it if that's the pattern to put fish in the boat. That is in a nutshell how I would go about dealing with the pictured structure above.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it is a great idea, but what I would rather have is the map and predetermined conditions. I hate choices so if you tell me what they are I will tell you where and what I would do. KDM pretty much nailed it except I dont pull spinners, I would crank while watching the structure scan. If I start catching them I will keep going over them till they shut off (4 passes/no fish) then I would slow down (spinners, lindys, or jigs) as long as they are still on the graph.

It would be interesting to hear everyone's thought. Like a bad cold front would be a completely different ball game.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75