Line counting reels.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love em for cranks. Won't crank without em. I have tried so many different ones but now won't buy anything but the Daiwa sealines.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started running cranks in the mid 90's when they were called plugs. The first line counter reel I bought was a Daiwa Sealine, late 90's. It was still working great until summer 2016 when a rod holder failed and lost it overboard. Bought a couple other brands in that time that are shot, but now I'm sticking to the Daiwa Sealines

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okuma cold water series unless you’re using lead. Then I’d go with a bigger profile reel. For just braid the big reels are just a waste of space.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Okuma one I got only lasted a few years, and was 50$ more.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shaimano beastmaster, put them on every rod you have for the low price of $1600 each

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are just getting started using line counters I would recommend diawa accudepths or sealines. I have ran the accudepths for a long time with very minimal problems. The tekotas are definitely better but you are going to pay for them.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels SX line counters are made by Okuma, and are exact same reel as cold water. just different color.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they worth it? Any recommendations.
It really depends on your fishing style. Dragging cranks or down riggers, yes the are worth it. It allows you to accurately reset lines in the water column. I run Diawa Sealines that I used chartering in AK and they have not let me down. I own 8 of them and rebuilt 1 when the line counter would not read line out accuratly. If you watch eBay, you can get them for a really good price.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use Diawa Sealines as well. For the $$, they are hard to beat. Mine are old and have taken a beating and continue to work well. Also have a couple of Scheels line counter rod / reel combos - prefer the Diawas.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diawa sealine or Shimano Tekota are the 2 to use... okuma's (scheels) the line counter will stop working and then why did you get a line counter reel? I had 6 okuma's before I figured it out

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diawa sealine or Shimano Tekota are the 2 to use... okuma's (scheels) the line counter will stop working and then why did you get a line counter reel? I had 6 okuma's before I figured it out

The Cabelas ones do the same thing. I have to use my damn teeth to pull the reset button up half the time. Grabbage

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever Okuma it is that is branded as Scheels reels are utter junk. I bought a couple combos a while back and couldn't return the reels fast enough. I think I only had them out once and both would see the drag slowly loosen as you reeled on them.

Yep, cost me a few hundred yards of powerpro as they slowly unspooled about 300 yds of line and as I went around a point they drug the cranks across the beach. POS reels, I now have Daiwa.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I will try and find a deal on a coupla Diawa.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member

for diawa the sb3 and the LC5 (cabelas only version) are basically the same reel only 2 differences is the LC5 has 2 more ball bearings and is blue instead of gold/brown... what ive done in the past was look at cabelas combo setups you can get a decent price on rod and reel

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fis...aster-reg-trolling-combo/1436953.uts?slotId=1

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34