Lithium Deep Cycle Batteries

Mr. Pike

Was thinking of getting a lithium Deep cycle battery for my RV when my Interstate finally dies on me. It's about 4-5 years old. We were out in the badlands turkey hunting and I was running my furnace and CPAP (off the inverter) all night Friday night, and the next morning, the battery didn't have enough juice to start the furnace. Luckily I brought my generator with, so I was able to charge the battery up the next day. I'll probably start with just a 100 ah Lithium since a 200 runs about a thousand bucks. Was thinking of using it to power my trolling motor in my boat also. Has anyone had any luck with these?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive looked at them but the price pretty much makes up my mind

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I've been looking at them too but can't justify the price no matter how much I try. I would think in your case two marine 31s hooked in parallel would get the same result for significantly less money. If you end up going lithium let us know how they hold up long term.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t drain my ordinary batteries now so lithium is overkill. They make sense for the people who fish a ton or for a living, but overkill for the weekend warrior.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The benefits of lithium is that it's like having 2 traditional batteries in one, a traditional battery is not recommended to discharge less then 55 to 60 percent. With a lithium ion battery you can actually drain the battery to 0 to 20 percent, also lithium ion batteries have a capacity to be charged at least 3000 or more times if charged with a proper bms charging station. The initial cost is significant with a lithium but with proper maintenance will last for years over a traditional battery.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am running lithiums in this years boat. It is a significant weight savings at a cost. Also, I like the idea of the bowmount running normal until they are at nearly zero juice. I will see how it goes I guess.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a camper anymore but know those that do and to switch to Lithium's it cost so much with all extra's needed invertor, switches or breakers, heavier cable, recalibrating gauges if you can etc...just a pain in butt maybe newer camper's have changed. Now in the boat whole new world for me it was worth it, put still need different charger, etc.. not cheap is the world. Maybe in time they will get cheaper I would guess.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting a 60AH for a small boat to keep weight down for ultimate portability. 13.7lbs.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes they are super light if you grab a vex with using one you wonder if whats missing,

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had our old camper set up to run everything off solar and thought of buying lithium. Last fall we purchased a new camper with solar panels and controls already installed. Again I considered lithium, but after watching hours of utube purchased two size 31 VMaz AGMs. Like lithium they make the most of sun by charging faster. The lithium charge so fast that they an destroy your vehicles alternator somehow. This year I see the price on lithium has come down significantly and I am thinking the cheapest way into lithium is with a single 300 amp hour battery.

Mr. Pike

Received my battery and charger yesterday. I checked the voltage with my multimeter and it read 13.56 volts. I then hooked up my 20 amp lithium charger on the battery and after one hour the voltage read the same. I'm assuming that it's fully charged. Was thinking of running my trolling motor in the garage all day tomorrow to see how long it will last and then charging it up again.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure why you would do that unless directions say to do it? Seems to be a wasted charging cycle and time on the trolling motor. I would assume the discharge rate will be different with your Rv uses versus the TM?

Last edited:

Mr. Pike

Guess I'll just bring both batteries then the next time I get the boat out

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
when using a lithium for the trolling motor battery. How in the world do you ever know when the battery is going low? Lithiums big selling point is running full capacity till the very end. I have heard with lithium you don't want to leave them on a charger after they are fully charged. I dont want to take it off the charger at 2am after a bunch of silver yum yums.

Mr. Pike

Tried to post a link of a review of the battery that I got, but Nodak Angler wouldn't let me. The brand of battery is Weize and I got it on Amazon for 400 bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's that link:

https://youtu.be/-c6A1THDaeU

- - - Updated - - -

Guess it worked that time.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
The man evidently "seems" to know what he is looking for inside the battery, (as I sure as hell don't) with all the numbers, tests etc. Hopefully you may have found a great deal. Like anything time will tell. You get to be the NDA guinea pig. Thanks for sharing

Mr. Pike

Renogy makes a lithium Deep cycle battery that has a Bluetooth connection so you can monitor the battery level with your phone. I think they're on sale for about 500 right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's that same guy doing a tear down and review of the Renogy smart battery.

https://youtu.be/aahHWaV6Zdk

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79