Lottery

Tinesdown

Dont know what proactive measures are but my piece of the ground deer have been doing good. So someone posted earlier about youth killing deer not even good bucks this area im talking about is slaughter by bow hunters it sucks but they dont get all of them. In this area the best hunting is in late season when its well below the donut that is if food source is available.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
U seem to know your shit u by chance realated to cecil murray the animals down that way dont think they ever died of not getting enough browse (deer can live off twigs on a bad winter. I think those deer where yarded up in ranches run off all the time. An couldnt deal with the deep snowpack ie 2011 die off. They come to your cattle yards or farm tring to survive.
Not related to him. I don't know how I feel about deer in ranches during the winter and the ranchers running them off. On one hand it's their livelihood the deer are effecting and on the other hand would the damage from the deer really break them financially. I know silage and stuff gets tricky from deer droppings and damage and every situation is different so i try not to judge to much.

The number one thing we can do is focus on habitat. I'll use myself as an example. The family farmhouse sits on about 46 acres that is mine. of that about 30 acres is cropland. I get $70/acre rent for cropland. That is $2100/year that i get for doing absolutely nothing. My plan for 2025 is to surround it in tree rows. I'm doing 8-10 rows deep all the way around, tree species for wildlife to keep raptors down for birds and provide thermal/browse for deer. The rest will be planted into tallgrass prairie. Now i have -$2100 along with planting costs, herbicide costs, mowing costs for weeds, replacement tree costs, fuel costs, equipment costs, and a whole lot of time every year. All while the rest of my family breaks up any grassland around because the cropland rent is way higher and they don't hunt much and it's tough to blame them. The question i ask myself is how do we put a value on wildlife so the outdoorsman and non hunters alike are willing to sacrifice to support habitat improvements.

The 2nd best thing that we as sportsman can do is police ourselves. Not rely on the game and fish to tell us how many deer can be shot in an area. If we don't feel the numbers are high enough we eat our tag. If there is enough deer take one home. The same goes for pheasants or partridge and any other game.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it makes you happy in mind and heart it is priceless.
I figure the happiness my kids will get if they choose to hunt or the kids of my friends and family is worth it. I hear a lot on here of people hating posted up tight property and landowner issues but others don't know what work and sacrifices some put into their land and they want to enjoy it themselves. In my case i don't own a lot of land, two quarters, one i bought on my own and am still paying on with no return other than hunting and one that was family land that my dad bought and we sacrificed as a family to make that payment. Between friends and family it all gets hunted enough that i don't feel comfortable letting many others hunt so i'm probably viewed as an asshole landowner by those that arent friends or family.

I drew a 3b3 any antlered. will probably hunt almost exclusively on my own land but will check some state land out in the unit as well. Also drew wyoming antelope south of gillete with 7 bonus points. i think 7 points for antelope in south dakota this year and drew montana antelope last year so not much hope this year.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was people that dumped 9 bonus points on a muzzleloader doe tag ….. good grief times must be tough lol

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would give up every deer tag I ever draw for the rest of my lifetime and gladly give them to my kids and proudly sit there and watch them shoot. To stop giving the youth tags out is the most selfish idea I’ve ever heard in my life.
Bingo because my kids went through it, and he still hunts today feeding the economy money.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not related to him. I don't know how I feel about deer in ranches during the winter and the ranchers running them off. On one hand it's their livelihood the deer are effecting and on the other hand would the damage from the deer really break them financially. I know silage and stuff gets tricky from deer droppings and damage and every situation is different so i try not to judge to much.

The number one thing we can do is focus on habitat. I'll use myself as an example. The family farmhouse sits on about 46 acres that is mine. of that about 30 acres is cropland. I get $70/acre rent for cropland. That is $2100/year that i get for doing absolutely nothing. My plan for 2025 is to surround it in tree rows. I'm doing 8-10 rows deep all the way around, tree species for wildlife to keep raptors down for birds and provide thermal/browse for deer. The rest will be planted into tallgrass prairie. Now i have -$2100 along with planting costs, herbicide costs, mowing costs for weeds, replacement tree costs, fuel costs, equipment costs, and a whole lot of time every year. All while the rest of my family breaks up any grassland around because the cropland rent is way higher and they don't hunt much and it's tough to blame them. The question i ask myself is how do we put a value on wildlife so the outdoorsman and non hunters alike are willing to sacrifice to support habitat improvements.

The 2nd best thing that we as sportsman can do is police ourselves. Not rely on the game and fish to tell us how many deer can be shot in an area. If we don't feel the numbers are high enough we eat our tag. If there is enough deer take one home. The same goes for pheasants or partridge and any other game.
How dare you suggest to the talking heads on here to not kill a land carp!!!! “All land owners are evil and do anything they can to ruin hunting.” “Gratis tags are unfair because I can’t get one and therefor nobody should”. “The land carp are for the public and I want my share”. Police themselves. That’s laughable.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
End gratis tags and give them to the kids until they are 21.
Not sure if serious or a joke to stir the pot? If serious wouldn't it be better idea to make the lottery private land only tags with a very limited amount of public land tags for a special draw and allow the youth up to age 21 access to all the public land for their tags then. This would end the overcrowding and over hunting of public land and increase the experience for youth hunters. I believe most or all other western states allow landowner tags for big game even though many of them states have substantially higher amounts of public land. I know a lot of hate towards gratis tags is people stirring the pot but since i'm a huge fan of habitat improvement i would challenge any of those that do truly hate gratis tags to let me know what they've done to increase habitat or to better north dakota for hunting.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Landowners are variable like everyone else. I know one that owns thousands of acres, plows to midsection line, bulldozer and burns shelter belts and doesn't post. I know another that does the same, but does post. Neither of them hunt. I know some that leave a couple rows of corn and leave Rocky ground n d untilled. Some post and some dont. My brother bought a small farm that he hunted as a child. It's mostly river valley and the fields are planted back to grass. One is hated, and he runs a half dozen horses on 40 acres. The rest has been idle since 1969. It's only two quarters so it's posted and only his family hunt it. Since he and his son have separate residence on it most of the land is within 1/4 mile of the house so that restricts hunters anyway.
My hat is off to those landowners that do have some habitat. To those with habitat that don't post I have taken time to say thank you even though I didn't hunt their land.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 232
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 70