Manual vs Frost Free Upright Freezer

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been holding out for a 20-21 cu ft MANUAL defrost upright (GE or Frigidaire) since Dec/Jan. Recently, a couple frost free options have become available, with no ETA on the manuals still. I routinely store some meat for 2+ years. I will keep one of my chest freezers for the majority of bulk game meat, but there will be some things that need to go into the FF upright for longer periods also.
The concern is multiple sources say the FF don't keep meat as long, due to the temp fluctuations from the FF cycle. Any experiences one way or the other on this?

Thank you

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have 2 fridges with frost free freezers and 2 upright manual freezers. 95% of our food that needs to go in a freezer goes into the upright freezers. Seems like frost free freezers add a different taste to the food that's in them if stored to long. Only need to defrost the uprights once a year. We have thermometers in the uprights and try to keep them at around 10-20 above 0.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, now does anyone know who sell manual uprights and / or has them in stock, I have been looking everywhere.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where you located close to ?

- - - Updated - - -

Home Depot shows a few but are on the smaller size.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
10CU at hole depot, cant find anything bigger than a 13CU in manual, thinking they quit making upright large manual freezers !

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best bet would be to check with an appliance dealer to "see" if something is even orderable.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have done the obvious, Dealers are no help, so asking on here. " Ok, now does anyone know who sell manual uprights and / or has them in stock" That was the question ! If there are no more posts, then that it my answer.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info ! "USE GOOGLE SEARCH" ! Every search shows old and discontinued ones, Have not found anyplace that has one in stock ! I have emailed manufacturers, most have not returned emails. " " Have done the obvious, Dealers are no help, so asking on here. " Ok, now does anyone know who sell manual uprights and / or has them in stock" That was the question ! If there are no more posts, then that it my answer. " "

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5