migration 26



SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Posts
11,778
Likes
1,886
Points
663
I haven’t seen anything big enough to consider “migrating flocks” in ND/SD yet.

If the combines, carts, and Semi’s keep up their current pace you might only see waterfowl concentrated on big water with feeding flocks spreading out all over.
 


1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,299
Likes
1,724
Points
568
The kids and I would always go up to Moffit over Teacher Conversations for Cranes. It seems like that was the best time. As we always got into them. And the Upland hunting was great up there with lots of School and PLOTS land. This year it's the 15th and 16th of October.
 

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2015
Posts
4,721
Likes
459
Points
358
Location
ND's Flatter Half
We need some migrators. This opener marked the fewest amount of local birds I've ever personally seen in 20 plus years. Late rains helped shore up some ponds, but you can tell a lot of ducks flew right over ND this spring and likely nested in Canada. Friends who have hunted there this fall confirm: Crazy amount of birds are piling up north of the border. If we can get some good cool weather and strong pushes, it could make for dynamite hunting in the weeks to come.
 

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2015
Posts
1,271
Likes
553
Points
313
The last few years have been terrible. Even the local Canadas and ducks seem to be hiding. I remember when I hunted while in HS in the late 90s, it seemed even the snow geese were already here for the opener. I don't know if they're raising different crops in Canada or just milder weather is keeping them north longer. Or is the migration moving further west? I've heard that many times over the years but always thought it to be BS, it might be true.
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 62
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
Top Bottom