migration 26

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2015
Posts
1,272
Likes
555
Points
313
Back in the day when I hunted water fowl hard, we'd go after about anything. Sure we'd sit in the goose decoys in the morning and were always looking for mallards and pintails, but we had no problem decoying sloughs and popping teal, gadwalls, and some shovelers. Turned all the ducks into jerky. I've never been a fan of any duck but made into jerky they all taste the same.
We'd also try and hit the mouse river at least once in a season to try and get a nice colored wood duck, I shot a couple but wished I hadn't as they weren't as colorful as I had thought. We'd also try and hit some deeper sloughs to get some divers and different ducks. Went after bluebills in the turtle mountains a few times but never did shoot one up there.
I've had guys tell me that snow goose is the best to eat, and others tell me snow goose is the worst to eat. Seems everyone has a preference. A speckle belly would have been the ultimate prize for us back in the early 90s but sure didn't see many of them back then. Now days they seem more abundant.
 


Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Posts
2,896
Likes
1,059
Points
483
Location
Mandan
I’ve had some pretty killer duck gumbo down on the gulf coast. Also the below pic is some duck sushi and tuna sashimi from down there as well…

IMG_6290.jpeg
 


zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 17, 2015
Posts
2,003
Likes
403
Points
363
I've sliced up mallard, teal and specks into inch thick strips and on the grill and impressed many people who would have claimed to not be waterfowl eaters.
 


Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 11, 2015
Posts
5,550
Likes
1,328
Points
558
Habitat loss, farming practices like switching from small grains to corn and beans, weather patterns, hunting pressure, etc. have all contributed to changes in migration patterns. It's not a single issue thing IMO.

I no longer waterfowl hunt but I remember my hay days were back in the 90's when there was lots of water and a lot of small grains still being farmed. The migration started shifting west as corn and beans started replacing wheat and barley. I'm sure the loss of CRP and drought the last few years hasn't helped either.
https://www.usda.gov/about-usda/new...khOB3J49Yun7CmYFY8_aem_XFbyH2bdmcJs2tAVwg22Kg
 

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Posts
3,716
Likes
4,031
Points
753
Location
West of Minntucky
Back to the migration…

I’ve never been hunting for them when this has happened, but I have seen a “mallard tornado” and have been pretty much smack dab in the middle of it. It is an awesome experience! SDMF and I got caught up in one deer hunting a few years ago. I wish I had video.
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 70
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
Top Bottom