Minnkota Terrova vs. MotorGuide Xi5

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
the Bluetooth is neat. my remote died on me this week and I don't care much for a foot pedal. downloaded the app to my phone and away we went. risky? yes. still handy though.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets go for a boat ride tomorrow and you can see the new terrova for yourself. Lift assist with the terrova is nice also. Once you have a day when the ulterra fails to stow you will regret it.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me, the auto deploy of unterra is really touch to beat alone. When you’re prefishing or by yourself, you pull in a spot and hit the button and fish. When your fishing shallow and crawling around trees or rocks, hit the button and lift it up a few feet versus crawling up there and turning the knob and lifting it up. Never have to set the rod down (or beer for that matter). When the waves are cranked up, no worries with someone falling off the bow trying to deploy the motor.

I have no issues with the newer spot lock. It’s pretty solid.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought you guys another 12 hours or so. Now the ulterra crowd has me thinking again.

The Technological Angler says there is big news coming from 'bird/minnkota on Wednesday. Just saw on his Facebook page. No clue what he is talking about.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your getting the 24v right? Last several Lowrance HD's and trolling motors (2) have bought from Factory Outlet. XI5 1629.99 for either 60" and 72" shaft.
Thats a deal and 100$ rebate. No tax and free shipping.
https://motorguide.factoryoutletsto...0.html?category_id=47744&catalogitemid=494170

36V 60" is 1679.99 and rebate

Damit. Just looked again. 60" is gone. Must have sold out. Only 72" shows up now although a 72" may be really nice.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
isnt the answer motor guide = lowrance ----- bird = minnkota?

longest lasting trolling motor was a motor guide on my old rig --- i had many minn kota's -- one the big mo took, the rest broke in one way or another. Not sure on the latest ones --- i currently have a minn kota as it came with the boat. HATE the interference issue !!!!! dont know if they have fixed that -- but you still see it online somebody always is posting about it. The motor has been good to me though.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have yet to have a trolling motor that hasn't pissed me off. Including the ulterra and just recently a brand new 36v 72" terrova who's auto pilot didn't work right out of the box.
Buddies new easy assist housing just exploded on him as well. Iove the idea of the ulterra, but when it sometimes won't deploy or stow it's self that gets old quick. Should try the ulterex or whatever it's called next. I see allot of bass guys going to them on TV this year.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I was able to get close enough with lets say my wireless wifi to DirtyMikes boat and download this said Bluetooth app would it be possible for me to control his boat? :;:muahaha:;:rockit

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I was able to get close enough with lets say my wireless wifi to DirtyMikes boat and download this said Bluetooth app would it be possible for me to control his boat? :;:muahaha:;:rockit
1/2 jig-casting distance

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gen 1 terrova to Gen 2 ulterra was the switch for me.
- spot lock greatly improved, night and day difference.
- love the auto stow and deploy, especially with Mrs Bauer in the boat
- gen 2 has the jog feature which is phenomenal when the jig bite is on
- the Bluetooth app is cool, but rarely used. I liked that I could link a basic remote to the unit also and my tournament partner has boat control at the same time as me. really helps on those days when a guy is caught up in something, he can run the boat without fumbling for my remote.

Never a motor guide user so I have no reference there.

Reeds sports was one of the places I found that carries them the cheapest. Scheels WILL price match so be sure to take some ammo along for bargaining if that is where you choose to buy from.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
the Bluetooth is neat. my remote died on me this week and I don't care much for a foot pedal. downloaded the app to my phone and away we went. risky? yes. still handy though.

On the new systems with link, you can also bring up an on-screen remote on the helix and control the motor. I like that quite a bit. I tend to leave it up on screen if we're moving so if I get my hands tied up my fishing partner can take over from the helix if we're moving the wrong direction.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
3ECCA362-EEE8-46C9-9494-DE0DEEB2E6E1.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like a big red wire running down the shaft --- can one put a SI transducer or is one built in on these new caddys?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
looks like a big red wire running down the shaft --- can one put a SI transducer or is one built in on these new caddys?

I had wondered the same thing, but then realized that with SI you are supposed to be moving 3-6 mph, so, I am not sure it would be worth it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So after one weekend of use, in particularly windy conditions, the new terrova is on par, if not better than the motorguide I previously owned. Wiring was simple as I found power for the heading sensor in my front panel. I've read that they should be mounted in the back/console, or at least 2 feet from anything magnetic. When I anchor locked, it stayed put very well, even with the wind both days. Deploying and stowing was almost effortless. No loud grinding sounds when turning, which is a huge improvement from the old terrova. Overall, I'm happy I burned $1800.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88