Moose broadhead question...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot my moose in ND with a Matthews Legacy at 65#. Used a Beman ICS 340 arrow at 27 1/2" tipped with a 100gr. Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Had a complete pass through at 45 yds. Moose made it 65 yds. before tipping over. Have also killed numerous deer, 3 antelope, turkeys, 2 black bears and a grizzly bear with the exact same setup since. Shot placement is very important as well as knowing your equipment and your capabilities.

Good Luck with your hunt.

Magnus Sringers and buzzcuts are great. I am pretty interested in the new black hornet from them. Looks like a great broadhead http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/black-hornet/

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a good website to see the difference in what weight and speed do to KE and momentum. http://archerycalculator.com/archery-kinetic-energy-and-momentum-calculator/

As an example, using your 340 grain arrow, put in a speed of 310fps, which is pretty dang fast. Then do a 460 grain arrow at 280 fps. You will see that the heavier arrow has more of both. And while KE is an important number, momentum is what carries the arrow through the animal. Also remember, that heavier arrows make a bow more efficient. Each bow is different, but as you move up in arrow weight, you will actually not lose your speed as rapidly while increasing your arrow weight, like you would adding weight to a lighter arrow.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnus 125 gr stingers or buzz cuts, extremely strong and one of best penetrating heads out there

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnus is a great company that makes a high quality broadhead. I have on more than one occasion sent in damaged broadheads and received replacements with no questions asked. They have a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee on their products. These were damaged or bent during practice. They fly the same as my field points out of my bow. I have used stingers for over 10 years and have received more than my moneys worth out of them. Very easy to touch up the razor sharp edges on the stainless blades.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32