Mountain Lion hit in NE ND

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna be keeping an eye peeled during deer season this year:

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2015/sep/23/unusual-crash-vehicle-collides-with-lion-in-ramsey-county/

[h=1]Unusual crash: Vehicle collides with lion in Ramsey County[/h]
LAWTON, N.D. (AP) -- A game warden supervisor with North Dakota's Game and Fish Department says a mountain lion was injured when hit by a vehicle in Ramsey County and was euthanized.
The Tuesday night crash west of Lawton was unusual. Northeastern North Dakota is not prime mountain lion habitat. Game Warden Supervisor Paul Freeman says the lion was a young male.
The driver of the vehicle was not hurt in the crash. Game and Fish will take possession of the lion carcass for study purposes.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if I was to hit a lion I would handle the situation without involving the G&F. Or is that a requirement?
I ran over a squirrel once, he run right under my tire, I was not even trying for him. I kept driving, and this admission of guilt feels right.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think with season open they will get to keep the hide
I found a river otter on the road one day and they wouldn't let me keep it. But there is no season for them in ND.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the driver wants it its theirs in most cases such as the bear by Dickinson. But with the Warden having to shoot it may play into it in this situation.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blasphemy!! There are no lions up that-away!!! Must have been a big yard cat that they mis-identified!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone remember the giant tomcat in north bismarck that someone (mis)identified as a mountain lion? I just did and I giggled.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder if that's the critter that my neighbors to the north swear up and down was a mountain lion.

Anyone remember the giant tomcat in north bismarck that someone (mis)identified as a mountain lion? I just did and I giggled.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can the G&F say that NE ND does not have good lion habitat? Seems to me that they could survive there very easily!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can the G&F say that NE ND does not have good lion habitat? Seems to me that they could survive there very easily!
They didn't release any lions in that part of the state so they don't think there are any there. ;)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They had a pic on TV with the head blurred, must not have contacted its family?? ��

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the driver wants it its theirs in most cases such as the bear by Dickinson. But with the Warden having to shoot it may play into it in this situation.

Also I hear that if it is a deer that has a rack that most would consider "big" the driver is usually SOL. At least it seems I hear that every so often. Wasn't there a big whitetail hit in Fargo in the last couple years and everyone made a big stink over the warden keeping that one for the gnf wall?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the picture of the cat emailed to me at work today. I thought it was just a joke but looks like it is real.

Johnr....I'm reporting you to the game and fish for not reporting the squirrel.

Thanks,

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

Because lions are like bighorn sheep and prefer ground with steep breaks. The cats just don't like flat ground to much and the Lawton area if quite flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if that's the critter that my neighbors to the north swear up and down was a mountain lion.

With as many cats that have come through town I never ruel out anybody's story until they prove to be stupid. What are we at three cats shot here?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because lions are like bighorn sheep and prefer ground with steep breaks. The cats just don't like flat ground to much and the Lawton area if quite flat.

- - - Updated - - -

With as many cats that have come through town I never ruel out anybody's story until they prove to be stupid. What are we at three cats shot here?

Yea I understand cat biology and I know the cats preferred habitat, but any roaming cat that comes through the Pembina Gorge area would find that pretty appealing! No different then up here in the Turtle Mtns., not considered cat habitat, but they have been here for a lot of years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 175
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52