ND Moose checks out hunter

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure I would have let her get quite that close. Pretty cool though.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
id be afraid she would start stomping. Last fall pheasant hunting i had one come out of a patch of willows my doge went into, scared the shat out of me all the noise she made getting out of the willows.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man that's cool.

I recall a late season pheasant hunt when I went solo with just the two wirehairs. It was borderline blizzard, and would have been if there were snow. Instead we battled some stiff December winds and worked a well known tree line. I couldn't help but notice some tracks that looked like cattle had gotten loose from the operation a half mile over.

We got into a little secluded meadow of sorts -- a ring of trees with a small, dry cattail slough in the middle. The tracks led right to it. I got this weird sense the tracks were not, in fact, from a cow just as a big, brown body stood up about 50 yards away. It was an ample-bodied bull moose with a rack to match. He stood and stared at us for an uncomfortable few seconds, before high-tailing it into the whirlwind.

That'll make the old butthole pucker, let me tell you.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yrs ago I was in a tree stand bow hunting when I notices what I thought was a horse. The closer it got the more I was thinking its a moose, yep it was. I walked right by me at about 10 yds. Then it caught wind of my tracks coming in to the stand. It turned and tracked me right to my stand. When she picked his head up her nose was right in front of my boot. I tapped her on the nose with my boot maybe 8 or 9 times, and she seemed to enjoy it. She walked to the west and that is where my truck was a half mile away. I didnt wait till dark to leave my stand that night. I never seen her again.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m much more worried about cows with calves than bulls. Probably not much to worry about with a single cow. The number of annual moose attacks towers over bear attacks. I just got charged about a month ago chasing a cow/calf from my garden. I hate them dumb things!

These were a couple weeks ago….
5BF61A9B-5C6F-4D65-AF44-ED07B70907F2.jpeg

AEC32C03-A6EF-40BB-9E91-1FE8B3481586.jpeg

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back, I was trying to fill my ND cow moose tag with my bow, stalking in a corn field. She suddenly walked up and stood next to me, so close that I could have reached out and touched her. I was so surprised that an attack never crossed my mind. I didn't have an arrow nocked, so I just stood there trying to decide if I could take her down with my knife (which of course is idiotic, but that's what my brain was doing...). After a few seconds that felt like an eternity, she spooked a bit, ran and stood at 25 yards, so I launched an arrow into her.

WP_20170920_025.jpg

Cashin13

I’m much more worried about cows with calves than bulls. Probably not much to worry about with a single cow. The number of annual moose attacks towers over bear attacks. I just got charged about a month ago chasing a cow/calf from my garden. I hate them dumb things!

These were a couple weeks ago….
5BF61A9B-5C6F-4D65-AF44-ED07B70907F2.jpeg

AEC32C03-A6EF-40BB-9E91-1FE8B3481586.jpeg
I’m not sure where you’re located but I have a moose tag this year if you want it gone. My tag is in unit M11

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76