New broadheads this year?

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I bought 2 packs of the VPAs in 100 grain for my ND elk. Hope they do the trick!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I bought 2 packs of the VPAs in 100 grain for my ND elk. Hope they do the trick!!
Would you let us know how you like them when you get them? Also give us your impression of sharpness. They are a great looking broadhead. I grew up shooting Bodkins and Bear Raxorheads when I was a kid mod 1950's. Those Bodkins got dull if they smelled a bone.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife shoots Magnus stingers 100 grain,
At 43 lbs complete pass through on a young buck, The guy at Magnus said the stinger buzz cut take a little more poundage

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
VPA 100 Grain

Well unfortunately I would consider these broadhead dull out of the box. I haven't bought fix blades in probably 10 years so Im not sure how they compare to others. They don't shave hair but will catch finger nail if ran across at a steep enough angle. I assumed I would have to be careful picking them up or handling them but no where close to being that sharp. Maybe I had unreal expectation. Also I noticed the broadheads were quite dirty, covered in small fuzzies. Of course not a big deal but I thought it was odd.

I hope they fly well without much tuning because I don't have a lot of experience with that since I have shot rage and ulmer edge for atleast a decade now.

- - - Updated - - -

ND elk with bow is beyond badass! Good luck! What unit?

E1E

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought the same thing about the VPAs. I think if a guy was proficient at sharpening, they could get a super sharp edge. But I would expect them to come from the factory with that kind of edge already on them.

VPA 100 Grain

Well unfortunately I would consider these broadhead dull out of the box. I haven't bought fix blades in probably 10 years so Im not sure how they compare to others. They don't shave hair but will catch finger nail if ran across at a steep enough angle. I assumed I would have to be careful picking them up or handling them but no where close to being that sharp. Maybe I had unreal expectation. Also I noticed the broadheads were quite dirty, covered in small fuzzies. Of course not a big deal but I thought it was odd.

I hope they fly well without much tuning because I don't have a lot of experience with that since I have shot rage and ulmer edge for atleast a decade now.

- - - Updated - - -

E1E

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally got out to shoot the VPA's. If I knew I could get fixed blade broadheads to fly like this I don't know If I would of ever shot mechanicals. I know there is still more of a wind drift factor but man they fly true. I was shooting at dusk with lumenocks and they were flying like lasers!! Man I am getting pumped to do some hunting!!!

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to try the Rage extremes this year,It's really is tough to beat the blood trail mechanicals leave.I typically carry a couple Muzzy mx3 fixed blades for shooting thru screen on groundblind and 3 Rage hypodermic for the treestand.Hoping the extremes will open a hole for the rest of the blade to pass thru,but will test well before season.
Lots of good broadheads mentioned but nothing gives a good blood trail better than a well placed shot,hate those guys who "blow the dust off the bow" and go out and start wounding up a storm!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember the name, but I seen some broadheads in a Montana sport shop (Bob Ward) this week that were $129 for three. No broadhead is worth that much, but there is a sucker born every day.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Came across this while reading the hunting guide:

It is illegal to hunt big game with barbed arrows (barbed refers to an arrowhead with any fixed portion of the rear or trailing edge of the arrowhead forming an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft).
arrow-heads.jpg

So that makes the QAD Exodus (which I hear is a great head) illegal in ND?? How STUPID.

- - - Updated - - -

QAD.jpg

Here's the QAD Exodus swept model

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the idea behind not allowing barbed is because they don't want an animal with a non lethal wound having to deal with an arrow that they can not shed. Tough having that thing gouge you for a month before die.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my 150 grain bishops they are very nice.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The standard QAD EXODUS broadheads is not swept. So it’s LEGAL in ND

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
By that definition the majority of mech. broadheads would be illegal? unless its a fixed 90 degree ?,regarless good post, thanks

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
By that definition the majority of mech. broadheads would be illegal? unless its a fixed 90 degree ?,regarless good post, thanks
No. Mechanical will swivel forward and not hang up in an animal. Ramcat broadheads even though they do swivel forward developed the Diamondback to sell in states with even more stringent laws than North Dakota.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember the name, but I seen some broadheads in a Montana sport shop (Bob Ward) this week that were $129 for three. No broadhead is worth that much, but there is a sucker born every day.

Iron Will broadheads are $99 for 3 and I think they are well worth it. Sure they're spendy but it's the business end of the arrow and I don't see any reason to skimp on them plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After hearing the engineering involved and materials used both the iron will and valkyrie broad heads are worth the price. I just got the stickland helix and will see how they fly tonight. the helix were 50.00 for three which i thought isny bad considering if you dont loose the arrow i can use for multiple animals. Kifarucast has podcast on the broadheads and the extreme FOC stuff now. Another rabbit hole i dont need to go down..............

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33