New broadheads this year?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iron Will broadheads are $99 for 3 and I think they are well worth it. Sure they're spendy but it's the business end of the arrow and I don't see any reason to skimp on them plus they have a lifetime warranty.
I went in and looked at their advertisement. I see they temper to 60 Rockwell hardness. That's very good. Some of the best are only 58 Rockwell. D2 or A2 are tool steel and not stainless. Keep a little scent free oil on the edge or it will get lost quickly in even high humidity. Some of the Knives of Alaska are D2 steel. I have one and it has carbon particles that make it cut like a saw blade. A little different than really high grade steels like ZDP-189 which is 67 Rockwell and the highest grade steel on the market right now. I would hate to buy broadheads made out of it because my brothers pocket knife run $750 when it came out. My little knife was only $189. I loose to many heads to pay for the extreme. I find the back half of the arrow after shooting a deer, but I don't know where the heck the head goes sometimes.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
People who spend thay kinda money on broadhead should have their heads examined!!!
Fuck...I should learn to stay out of these internet broadhead threads.
Some stupid shit comes out!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here the same thing about optics,boats,cloths and a multitude of things. I was told the same thing about my Kifaru best money I ever spent. Quality manufacturing USA made costs money and it has been proven to me time and time again it is cheaper to pay up front than five times on the back end.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Priorities, priorities, priorities, we each have different ones. I remember many years ago having a supervisor who said it was a waste giving me a raise when I spend $200 on a bow. He had just dropped $1100 on an ou shotgun.

Founding Member
Founding Member
My prayers have been answered!
Shot gators for over 20 years and then the Ulmer, looks like Randy has brought it back!!

sevr heads.jpg
https://www.sevrbroadheads.com/

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
People who spend thay kinda money on broadhead should have their heads examined!!!
Fuck...I should learn to stay out of these internet broadhead threads.
Some stupid shit comes out!

No one's stopping you. What a grouchy old crank. God forbid people would invest their own money in whatever the hell they want to, especially an obsessively engineered, damn near indestructible broadhead.

Anyhoo, Kurt I've been working with a very high FOC setup for 4 or 5 years now (20-21% or so). The super light, super fast setups that the whitetail guys use may beat my arrow to the target at 60 yards, but I have to strap down the yellowjacket stacked foam target I bring to hunting camp if I want to use the upper bullseyes

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i am going down that rabbit hole i wasnt going to with the archery. I have been listening to alot of the pod cast about the high foc and all that . Right now i have an older mathews thats 68# at 28.5" draw and shooting a easton fmj that is just shy of 480 with a 100 grain strickland helix broad head. I was amazed at the penetration with those broad heads on the block when i shot them this weekend. They hit right where the field points did out to my self imposed 50 yd range so i am pumped for the 1st of sep this year.

the last kifarucast with Dr. Ashby on it was very interesting.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My prayers have been answered!
Shot gators for over 20 years and then the Ulmer, looks like Randy has brought it back!!

daisykeech_49751088_329452051235240_6186406567781163708_n-copy.jpg
https://www.sevrbroadheads.com/

I had an Ulmer Edge not open on a coyote several years ago. Or at least that is what I am assuming. Never recovered the front half of the arrow as it broke off. There shouldn't be a coyote on the planet that can stop a broadhead from my setup no matter what angle or body part I hit it in, UNLESS, the broadhead didn't open. I have no idea what happened but it was a tough pill to swallow for expandable broadheads. I really, really want to use them but...

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180830_062841.jpg

Broadhead I was shooting in the late 70's with wood arrows and 45 lb recurve.

These broadheads were made by Browning.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used my new bishops on an antelope and they work great. Plus they will last forever as they can be sharpened.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get a good single bevel and don't look back. Lots of science to prove they are superior.

I've been using the DRT single bevel and the carnage is causes blows my mind, and I like that I can sharpen them on my own and they fly great!! Lots of single bevel on the market though, and tough to find at 100grain(if that's what you shoot).

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
for cheaper broadheads I am looking at the cutthroat's single bevel and simple ($55 for 3) and 250g (total arrow weight will be in the 500's) or I am going to go with the valkyrie system and probably try and push that 650g total arrow weight (kifarucast with ashby) 200 spine with the 350g broadhead gets it just over 650 with the valkyrie's

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have the makers of cut throats on there to. I was going to try those to but went with the helix. Going to get a pack of iron wills to test out this winter

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have used the 100 grain Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials the last few years. I have only had one kill with them and it was on a nice whitetail buck that only went 50 yards and some of his insides were literally hanging out of him. He only ran about 20 yards and barely walked the rest.

This year I could not resist the new Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials razortip pro in 100 grain. I ran into them by accident at scheels. The point looks bad ass I couldn't help myself.

- - - Updated - - -

What broadheads do you guys run with light poundage bows? Im going to get my wife into bow hunting and she will be shooting 30-40 lbs. I personally shoot grim reapers and love them but Im not sure how well mechanicals work in light poundage bows.

my wife uses Montec Strikers out of her 35lb bow. Fixed blades but you can replace them. Very sharp.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used montecs forever. The hole is not big enough and blood trails suck. I've killed many animals but I want holes and blood like rage

I'm switching. If u hit the shoulder u r screwed anyways. I would rather hit guts with a huge blade than a tiny 1" hole as well

This is exactly why I went to mechanical. Couldn't find a double lunger because there was no blood. Went with what I stated above and you will find pieces of lung laying on the ground. No joke. It was the only chance I got to use them so far but it was incredible.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with Magnus Stingers? Picked up a few on sale to use as backups. They fly good and look like they’ll penetrate. My biggest concern is durability with the long blade beyond the ferrule.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with Magnus Stingers? Picked up a few on sale to use as backups. They fly good and look like they’ll penetrate. My biggest concern is durability with the long blade beyond the ferrule.

Magnus have a lifetime warranty. You wreck one, take a pic of it and send it to them and they will send you a new head no questions asked.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 33