What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
New Fishing Regs. Proposal
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Fly Carpin" data-source="post: 68423" data-attributes="member: 1187"><p>I'll agree wholeheartedly that big pike will attack anything they can get their maw around, including 20" walleyes on the end of our lines. I also fully agree that pike will show preference for a shallow bodied prey species vs. a deep bodied prey species. They also prefer soft fins, smaller prey size, and a host of other characteristics if given the choice. It comes down to risk. With a big meal, you have increased handling time of prey item, risk of losing a big prey item that just took a good amount of energy to pursue and capture, etc. An interesting topic to be sure. </p><p></p><p>I guess my question is how often is this occurring? You say maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. And that's where I'm at on this as well. Is it enough to have a statistically significant impact on the larger year classes of other "desirable" game fish species? </p><p></p><p>Or maybe I'm defending the lowly white bass because they make me giggle like a maniac when I hook one on a 6 weight fly rod</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Fly Carpin, post: 68423, member: 1187"] I'll agree wholeheartedly that big pike will attack anything they can get their maw around, including 20" walleyes on the end of our lines. I also fully agree that pike will show preference for a shallow bodied prey species vs. a deep bodied prey species. They also prefer soft fins, smaller prey size, and a host of other characteristics if given the choice. It comes down to risk. With a big meal, you have increased handling time of prey item, risk of losing a big prey item that just took a good amount of energy to pursue and capture, etc. An interesting topic to be sure. I guess my question is how often is this occurring? You say maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. And that's where I'm at on this as well. Is it enough to have a statistically significant impact on the larger year classes of other "desirable" game fish species? Or maybe I'm defending the lowly white bass because they make me giggle like a maniac when I hook one on a 6 weight fly rod [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
16 minutes ago
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Fishing
Boat Fishing
New Fishing Regs. Proposal
Top
Bottom