New Fishing Regs. Proposal

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what the G&F is proposing for new fishing regulations. I wish that they would have tried to cut the Perch limit to 10 daily instead of just cutting the possession limit:

"The plan to eliminate darkhouse spearing on Larimore Dam and Wood Lake is among a handful of potential changes Game and Fish is proposing for the 2016-18 fishing proclamation that will take effect April 1.
Key among those potential changes is a proposal to reduce the statewide possession limit of bluegills, yellow perch and white bass from 80 to 40. The statewide possession limit for most gamefish species is twice the daily limit, but the current possession limit for bluegills, perch and white bass is four times the daily limit.
Hiltner said creel surveys show relatively few anglers catch limits of perch on larger lakes such as Devils Lake, but smaller lakes take a real pounding when fishing is good. Reducing the possession limits for the three species could spread out the resource to more people, Hiltner said.
Other proposed changes to the proclamation include:
• Implementing a statewide rule requiring boaters to pull the drain plugs from their boats any time the craft is not in the water. Currently, the requirement only applies to boats leaving the Red River, where invasive zebra mussels have become established.
• Opening some or all of Lake Alice, Silver Lake, Rose Lake and Lake Ardoch national wildlife refuges to some seasonal fishing. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this fall received approval to expand fishing opportunities on the federal refuges, most notably opening Lake Alice to ice fishing, which is allowed for the first time this winter.
• Opening Sweet Briar Dam in Morton County and Braun Lake in Logan County to darkhouse spearing.
• Eliminating length restrictions for largemouth bass and northern pike on Red Willow Lake and largemouth bass on North and South Golden lakes. Surveys have shown the length restrictions haven't produced the intended results.
• Allowing silver carp to be harvested by any legal means.
• Allowing the harvest of snapping turtles from July 1 to Nov. 15 with a daily and possession limit of one.
• Clarifying language that prohibits introducing anything into the water for enhancing the direct observation of fish—with the exception of underwater cameras."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/outdoors/recreation/3902689-ndgf-plans-stock-muskies-larimore-dam

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have any issues with any of those proposals with the exception of white bass. IMO, they shouldn't even be listed as a game fish. Catch and keep as many of those things as you want. They're fun to catch, but I prefer any number of species to these things.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the daily to 10 instead of the possession.

KDM you might not like this but I would have supported the same limit on white bass. I would so much rather catch big white bass than a bug eyed fish. I just wish I was better at targeting them in winter.

One I would like to see changed is the no possession when it gets to the freezer of a residence. I think a possession limit is enough no matter where.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have issues with this either, however my concern will be the enforcement of the change.

When was the last time you heard of a "local" having their possession limit checked? Are they going to check your limit at the lake and then say, "Now let's drive an hour to your house and check your freezer". I could see them following up and maybe pay a visit, at a home, if they catch someone over their limit. Lived here a long time and have never known anyone who has had their possession limit checked.

Certainly not against them checking possession limits more often as I'm sure there are plenty of full freezers out there.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO problems with me Capt. I just know that when a white bass gets to about 13 inches or so, the biggest predator swimming will have a tough, if not impossible, time eating it. That leaves it to feed and reproduce for the remainder of it's life unhampered by predators. Silver carp, Common Carp, and a few other rough fish have the same characteristics. Once they reach the "Finish Line" of a certain size, they are essentially impervious to predation. No matter how big a perch gets, it's always on the menu. Same for bluegills, crappie, walleyes, northerns, and most other fish species. That leaves "People" as the only predator capable of taking these larger specimens of white bass down. That's how I'm looking at it. Stay safe on the red if you venture forth Capt. and good luck!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
• Clarifying language that prohibits introducing anything into the water for enhancing the direct observation of fish—with the exception of underwater cameras."

This is BS, throwing a handful of corn or egg shells down your spear hole to make it easier to see fish doesnt hurt anything at all....

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is BS, throwing a handful of corn or egg shells down your spear hole to make it easier to see fish doesnt hurt anything at all....

I hadn't thought of that little angle!!! I was assuming electronic stuff. Damnit Lycan, stop making me think this early in the morning.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hadn't thought of that little angle!!! I was assuming electronic stuff. Damnit Lycan, stop making me think this early in the morning.

Yup, this seems to be directly aimed at making it more difficult for spear fishermen. I highly doubt there is a lot of over harvesting going on, not enough people target pike already. This will just make that situation worse and eliminate the ability to fish on some lakes where the water is slightly murky, but spearable using corn/beans/eggshells....

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a fishing show (Hooked on the Ice?) on Facebook the other day and the dude was catching MONSTER gills. Like, 10+ inches. It looked like the typical northern MN lake: small, few cabins, surrounded by trees. Except he said it was near Devils Lake, North Dakota.

I wish I could post the link. Was he on crack??

SOrry, totally not on topic. I was just thinking about this because of the reg changes, which include bluegill possession...and I was thinking, man, are there even gills worth keeping in ND?

Yes, I live under a rock...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO problems with me Capt. I just know that when a white bass gets to about 13 inches or so, the biggest predator swimming will have a tough, if not impossible, time eating it. That leaves it to feed and reproduce for the remainder of it's life unhampered by predators. Silver carp, Common Carp, and a few other rough fish have the same characteristics. Once they reach the "Finish Line" of a certain size, they are essentially impervious to predation. No matter how big a perch gets, it's always on the menu. Same for bluegills, crappie, walleyes, northerns, and most other fish species. That leaves "People" as the only predator capable of taking these larger specimens of white bass down. That's how I'm looking at it. Stay safe on the red if you venture forth Capt. and good luck!!!

Wait. Before I scratch my head any further, can you clarify this? What natural predator is eating mature walleyes and pike?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have issues with this either, however my concern will be the enforcement of the change.

When was the last time you heard of a "local" having their possession limit checked? Are they going to check your limit at the lake and then say, "Now let's drive an hour to your house and check your freezer". I could see them following up and maybe pay a visit, at a home, if they catch someone over their limit. Lived here a long time and have never known anyone who has had their possession limit checked.

Certainly not against them checking possession limits more often as I'm sure there are plenty of full freezers out there.

Fyi, possession and freezer limits are different. Possession limits apply more to aut of state hunters or people traveling to fish. There is no limit on freezer possession.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fyi, possession and freezer limits are different. Possession limits apply more to aut of state hunters or people traveling to fish. There is no limit on freezer possession.
Well if there isn't here should be. Some people can't help but make pigs of themselves with fishing. I wonder how much fish goes bad in the freezer and has to get thrown out. I would be fine with a 10 perch limit also.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if the G&F isn't trying to move incrementally and in a couple of years the daily limit might be cut. If you cut too hard at once the Devils Lake resort industry would be screaming bloody murder. Too me Red Lake in MN has shown that if you have good fishing limits can be pretty low and people will keep coming.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if the G&F isn't trying to move incrementally and in a couple of years the daily limit might be cut. If you cut too hard at once the Devils Lake resort industry would be screaming bloody murder. Too me Red Lake in MN has shown that if you have good fishing limits can be pretty low and people will keep coming.

I talked to one of the guys from Devils Lake who went to a meeting about the limits. He said he went expecting a room full of angry guides and there was nobody there. Sort of like the last few ANS hearings and meetings, nobody shows up but when it affects them hang on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait. Before I scratch my head any further, can you clarify this? What natural predator is eating mature walleyes and pike?

Large pike and I mean 20-30 lbers have been shown to predate other pike almost as big as they are. In essence all but he largest few fish have to watch out so as not to be eaten. A large pike can and does attack and kill other large pike. It has been shown that they will tear the prey pike in half and eat the halves separately. I myself have seen a larger pike come up and grab a 36 inch pike in the Sheyenne river so I know they will attack them. Big walleyes have also been found in the stomachs of large pike. How many times do you see a big pike come up after say a 6 lb walleye?? I've seen it plenty of times. Maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. A 16 inch white bass is for the most part physically unable to fit into the mouth of even the largest pike typically. They are too wide from top to bottom to fit between the jaw hinges of the pike. Smaller white bass may not fit as well, but I'm just trying to illustrate the concept here. A pike may grab them, but it can't swallow them. I would suspect that a 16 inch crappie would enjoy the same niche, but how many of them are in a system? My position is based on both personal observation and published fisheries data. You can find the same publications with a google search. It's very interesting reading.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be fine with a 10 perch limit also.

Devils Lake resorts/guides and probably some people in the south east/central part of the state that make money off of perch fishing would really fight that change. I think moving the possession limit to two days for panfish is a good start.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils Lake resorts/guides and probably some people in the south east/central part of the state that make money off of perch fishing would really fight that change. I think moving the possession limit to two days for panfish is a good start.

My Q: what took so damn long? :mad:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the daily to 10 instead of the possession.

KDM you might not like this but I would have supported the same limit on white bass. I would so much rather catch big white bass than a bug eyed fish. I just wish I was better at targeting them in winter.

One I would like to see changed is the no possession when it gets to the freezer of a residence. I think a possession limit is enough no matter where.

If they changed this and enforced it, there would be some old bachelors being hauled off to jail. Ha ha. Not a big deal for a family, though.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Large pike and I mean 20-30 lbers have been shown to predate other pike almost as big as they are. In essence all but he largest few fish have to watch out so as not to be eaten. A large pike can and does attack and kill other large pike. It has been shown that they will tear the prey pike in half and eat the halves separately. I myself have seen a larger pike come up and grab a 36 inch pike in the Sheyenne river so I know they will attack them. Big walleyes have also been found in the stomachs of large pike. How many times do you see a big pike come up after say a 6 lb walleye?? I've seen it plenty of times. Maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. A 16 inch white bass is for the most part physically unable to fit into the mouth of even the largest pike typically. They are too wide from top to bottom to fit between the jaw hinges of the pike. Smaller white bass may not fit as well, but I'm just trying to illustrate the concept here. A pike may grab them, but it can't swallow them. I would suspect that a 16 inch crappie would enjoy the same niche, but how many of them are in a system? My position is based on both personal observation and published fisheries data. You can find the same publications with a google search. It's very interesting reading.

I'll agree wholeheartedly that big pike will attack anything they can get their maw around, including 20" walleyes on the end of our lines. I also fully agree that pike will show preference for a shallow bodied prey species vs. a deep bodied prey species. They also prefer soft fins, smaller prey size, and a host of other characteristics if given the choice. It comes down to risk. With a big meal, you have increased handling time of prey item, risk of losing a big prey item that just took a good amount of energy to pursue and capture, etc. An interesting topic to be sure.

I guess my question is how often is this occurring? You say maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. And that's where I'm at on this as well. Is it enough to have a statistically significant impact on the larger year classes of other "desirable" game fish species?

Or maybe I'm defending the lowly white bass because they make me giggle like a maniac when I hook one on a 6 weight fly rod

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88