New Fishing Regs. Proposal

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots and lots and lots of fish gets thrown out every year due to freezer burn. I bet in some ND counties more gets tossed out or fed to cats than is eaten by humans.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll agree wholeheartedly that big pike will attack anything they can get their maw around, including 20" walleyes on the end of our lines. I also fully agree that pike will show preference for a shallow bodied prey species vs. a deep bodied prey species. They also prefer soft fins, smaller prey size, and a host of other characteristics if given the choice. It comes down to risk. With a big meal, you have increased handling time of prey item, risk of losing a big prey item that just took a good amount of energy to pursue and capture, etc. An interesting topic to be sure.

I guess my question is how often is this occurring? You say maybe not the most common forage, but there is the possibility. And that's where I'm at on this as well. Is it enough to have a statistically significant impact on the larger year classes of other "desirable" game fish species?

Or maybe I'm defending the lowly white bass because they make me giggle like a maniac when I hook one on a 6 weight fly rod

This made me laugh!!! I agree with your assessment and I'm only looking at possibilities and maybe I'm just defending the lowly perch because they make me giggle like a maniac when they are bubbling in my fry pan. (Grin)

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We own some lake property at a smallish(2000 acre lake) in northern Minnesota that the DNR actively manages for sunfish/bluegill.
Daily bag limit is 5...yes..that is correct...5. I don't have an issue with that at all, as there are some quality bluegills to be had.:) nor do I have an issue with ND lowering perch possession to 40. I think that is still a lot of fillets. Then again I am not a resort owner but my gosh...would a resort owner really LOSE business if their guides had to stick to clients keeping ONLY 40 possession??? I don't think so IMHO.:;:stirthepot

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was once told on one of these forums grown men shouldn't giggle. Sometimes I think I still do, though. Ha ha

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots and lots and lots of fish gets thrown out every year due to freezer burn. I bet in some ND counties more gets tossed out or fed to cats than is eaten by humans.
. This couldn't be more true in the Devils lake region.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
. This couldn't be more true in the Devils lake region.

80/20 rule. I would guess 80% of fishermen eat their fish annually. There are just a lot of folks that ice fish only and stock up for the year.

Remember, as soon as we make fishing more of a sport than tablefare, we open the doors to more scrutiny from activists. Another thought, as many lakes as are overfished, there is a lake with stunted perch. There's a fine line there.

- - - Updated - - -

Lake specific limits fix issues more than statewide limits. One size fits all doesn't always work.

I am am fine with the possession limit changes though.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a fishing show (Hooked on the Ice?) on Facebook the other day and the dude was catching MONSTER gills. Like, 10+ inches. It looked like the typical northern MN lake: small, few cabins, surrounded by trees. Except he said it was near Devils Lake, North Dakota.

I wish I could post the link. Was he on crack??

SOrry, totally not on topic. I was just thinking about this because of the reg changes, which include bluegill possession...and I was thinking, man, are there even gills worth keeping in ND?

Yes, I live under a rock...

Yes, there certainly are.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had some conversation on Hmongs and the white bass with the local GW in Devils Lake North Dakota, he says the white bass does more damage to a lakes ecosystem unlike perch where there all lots of freshwater shrimp which is their main food source. White bass eat juvenile fish in large numbers, if you ever fish the shores where bait fish congregate, white bass schools look like bubbles moving along the shore lines. White bass were stocked into devils lake because they can naturally produce in a higher salinity water body. People don't realize that a female white bass lays more eggs up to a million than any freshwater fish in the Devils Lake ecosystem.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
So who's the wimps out there that give negative rep points for someone stating their beliefs like above? Give me a thumb down if u don't like it, why the heck would you knock my rep points? Dumb

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't usually keep my northern but in winter time I do, I don't fish much during open water fishing so I am one of those who like to stock up for the year. I also like to give away fish to family and friends who don't get the opportunity to catch fresh fish, which means my catch never goes to waste. I freeze my fish in water so fillet can stay firm not mushy for months as well as no freezer burn. I eat a lot of fish, especially during Lent.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, I can't imagine getting to a point where we had so much fish we needed to throw it out. That's a coveted dinner in our household. Our fish barely has time to freeze before it's consumed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 summers ago the fishing was fantastic, we caught limits of 16-20 inch walleyes in about an hour on every outing. I had fish coming out my ass. Still had some in the freezer just a few weeks ago from that summer. I thawed out my filletsickle and pan fried 6 fish worth, it was awesome, tasted as though I had caught it that week.
I freeze my fillets in water in a zip lock bag, make sure no air is on the meat, and I think it would keep this way for 20 years. Never seen anyone throw fish out for freezer burn. But then again I am a western hillbilly, and have eaten testicles

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 summers ago the fishing was fantastic, we caught limits of 16-20 inch walleyes in about an hour on every outing. I had fish coming out my ass. Still had some in the freezer just a few weeks ago from that summer. I thawed out my filletsickle and pan fried 6 fish worth, it was awesome, tasted as though I had caught it that week.
I freeze my fillets in water in a zip lock bag, make sure no air is on the meat, and I think it would keep this way for 20 years. Never seen anyone throw fish out for freezer burn. But then again I am a western hillbilly, and have eaten testicles

That's exactly what I do: Freeze fillets in water, remove all air. Pretty sure that's what keeps the wooly mammoths fresh that they find frozen in the mountains.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All freezer limits do is make fisherman who can't go out all the time violators. Many people can only fish during short periods of each year while others of us can go whenever. I think the freezer burn arguments are total bs. I doubt very much is lost to that's the all. Some people bitch about Devils about how this year was better than that or whatever. Fact is other than the perch fishing the eyes and pike fishing has been phenomenal for over two decades even though the know it all's on all the websites have been preaching its demise. If they need to lower the perch limits some and the BIOLOGISTS (the real ones not the armchair ones) say it'll help I have no problem with that. But to bitch about us residents who live and work here, and keep this state going not having freezer limits is totally bogus in my opinion. If you think your a better person because you mostly catch and release good for you. But IMO the good Lord put them here to catch and eat. So for all you guys that have a good stock of fish in your freezer to enjoy may your bellies be full and your taste buds totally satisfied!

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
All freezer limits do is make fisherman who can't go out all the time violators. Many people can only fish during short periods of each year while others of us can go whenever. I think the freezer burn arguments are total bs. I doubt very much is lost to that's the all. Some people bitch about Devils about how this year was better than that or whatever. Fact is other than the perch fishing the eyes and pike fishing has been phenomenal for over two decades even though the know it all's on all the websites have been preaching its demise. If they need to lower the perch limits some and the BIOLOGISTS (the real ones not the armchair ones) say it'll help I have no problem with that. But to bitch about us residents who live and work here, and keep this state going not having freezer limits is totally bogus in my opinion. If you think your a better person because you mostly catch and release good for you. But IMO the good Lord put them here to catch and eat. So for all you guys that have a good stock of fish in your freezer to enjoy may your bellies be full and your taste buds totally satisfied![/QUOTE
] image.jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Try a bag with Sprite

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
sprite goes in my whiskey while I am cleaning the fish silly

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing belonging in whiskey is ice. WTF Juanner?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drink a Manhattan that entails 2 shots whiskey, 1 shot vermouth, 2 dash bitters, 2 ice cubes, and a cherry. Otherwise my whiskeys get a splash of sprite, or 7up and a few ice cubes.

I am not as manly as I appear. If I was a chewer, I would spit too.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drink a Manhattan that entails 2 shots whiskey, 1 shot vermouth, 2 dash bitters, 2 ice cubes, and a cherry. Otherwise my whiskeys get a splash of sprite, or 7up and a few ice cubes.

I am not as manly as I appear. If I was a chewer, I would spit too.

Thumbs Upx100

Guy's version uses this brand of bitters... and a little of the cherry syrup (a cherry's worth of volume - enough to keep the cherry/syrup ratio in the leftovers at a constant).

imgp5602-1.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 195
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93