new kicker...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'm kinda toying with the idea of adding a kicker to my nitro zv18 this spring and have some questions...

has wireless steering and throttle technology been worked out, and is there a good system for both that would mimic the electrics??? a remote with start, shift, throttle, tilt - trim, and steer would be awesome if available...

how big for a 19' glass???

any must haves or don't needs???

have a black 150 4 for main motor so would like to stick with black for a kicker...

any and all knowledge and opinions appreciated...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid runs a 9.9 on his and it’s more than enough motor. Always steer with the bow mount trolling motor anyway.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a troll master to adjust speed. Learn to steer with bow mount trolled and you will spend very little time worrying about speed and direction. You'll soon be running 6 lines with cranks!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a 15hp EFI Pro Kicker. 2019 or newer. EFI is WAY, WAY better than those little carburetors.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck finding one. When I was looking last fall I was told by 3 different places it would be 6 to 8 months to get one. Unless you find a used one.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a troll master to adjust speed. Learn to steer with bow mount trolled and you will spend very little time worrying about speed and direction. You'll soon be running 6 lines with cranks!

ya i fished like that a lot 25 years ago, but wasn't impressed with the first troll masters...

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Suzuki kickers are black. They are good as well. They were first to go EFI so they pretty much had the market for a while.

that’s the route I went last fall. Suzuki kicker and slapped some mercury decals on it. Works for me for the money I saved.

- - - Updated - - -

411A9539.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a 15 Merc on my lund. I wish I had gone 9.9 because 15 on my boat is way more than I need. Its the trolling model and I added the pro troll electonics which I do like. I dont like that its twice as loud as my 130 Honda. I rarely use it, but its nice to kow its there if for some odd reason the Honda failed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 9.9 2009 model mercury on my Lund proV. I have used it 10 times max in 12 years of owning it, 2 of those times were because the Mercury 225 optimax shit the fucking bed.

Not in the market being I open water fish 6-8 times a year, and the boat is paid for. But I would never buy a Optimax again.

Next boat 5-10 years from now, when I retire will be a joyous day.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep hearing that about Optimax...Sure Glad I got a V-max Yammy! So far no complaints.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the info!!!

ya, 4 stroke is all i'd be interested in... just trying to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze...

do they make a 2 stroke air freshener??? i'd love hanging 1 of those in the boat - for old times sake... loved that smell at 6am...

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
the yammy can always be pained black. I run a 9.9 on my 18'6" reata and gives me plenty. I don't have troll master, but installed a throttle control by the drivers seat. Basically put it in gear and use the bow mount to steer. Works wonders, is quiet as can be and barely burns gas at all. Can easily troll from 1.2-3.5 mph with it. Covers all the speed ranges I need. If I need to go slower, like fall crank baits, then I just use the bow mount.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28