What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
No Trespass Prognostication
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="guywhofishes" data-source="post: 243122" data-attributes="member: 337"><p>As both a landowner and a hunter who hunts unposted private land, I'd like to understand what the effects of a no trespass law would have in ND. A few things come to mind but I'd like to hear from others including those that live in states that already have such a law and get your perspectives.</p><p></p><p>I'm not looking for general opinions of pro/con (I know the answer ha ha) as much as I'm looking for prognostication with regards to how it will play out if such a law were to pass. </p><p></p><p>I'm not convinced that it's all good and no bad for landowners - even for landowners who don't hunt anyone else's property. Here's what's rattling around in my head on this issue.</p><p></p><p>1. I've asked this before but forget the answer: Other states have no-trespass laws but people post most everything regardless. Why is this? Is it because in western MN people visiting from ND trespass if there are no signs because they are used to that system "at home"? So it seems like nobody is going to be freed from the task/expense of posting their land - at least not for a generation. True or false?</p><p></p><p>2. Will there suddenly be much more pressure on PLOTS, game management, state, etc.? Or will permission calls just increase a lot and people will continue to hunt unposted land, but after having obtained permission.</p><p></p><p>3. I understand it's not that easy/common for enforcement of no trespass. And law enforcement, not wardens, handle this. Won't enforcement calls "go through the roof" and create an overwhelmed law enforcement situation? I can't imagine the uptick each season opener.</p><p></p><p>4. Some people were born to cheat. Right now there's a lot of land unposted so they're "satisfied with what they have to hunt", with an occasional cheat here/there if they see game while driving around. If suddenly everything is posted, will this create more people that have a chip on their shoulder about landowners and develop an "oh well, I'll just hunt wherever" attitude. True or false?</p><p></p><p>5. What's the current trespass penalty? - and is it sufficient to act as a deterrent?</p><p></p><p>6. Would a no trespass law prevent jackholes from tearing down signs and offering up the "I didn't see the poster" or "I didn't see a signature" type excuses? That would be a pro I guess. No more excuses for cheating.</p><p></p><p>7. Would a tax-payer supported program involving no-cost installation of "walk-in" posting for landowners who don't care maybe take the sting out of things for the non-landowners?</p><p></p><p>8. Would poaching increase?</p><p></p><p>These are just a few things I wonder about. In general, it seems like mostly a losing situation for <strong>both </strong>landowners and non landowners, but maybe it'll just "be different" but will all work itself out in the end? </p><p></p><p>One thing I can't figure out is what is so broken now that landowners with power/influence need to change it? If they have land, then the majority of them also have the $ to post and the influence to get law enforcement to prosecute. What are landowners actually gaining from such a law? If it's simply freedom from the expense/hassle of posting that seems minor. Is it freedom from the "excuse" guys who claim it wasn't posted properly? What's genuinely driving this movement? I wish I had a better appreciation for the landowner perspective.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="guywhofishes, post: 243122, member: 337"] As both a landowner and a hunter who hunts unposted private land, I'd like to understand what the effects of a no trespass law would have in ND. A few things come to mind but I'd like to hear from others including those that live in states that already have such a law and get your perspectives. I'm not looking for general opinions of pro/con (I know the answer ha ha) as much as I'm looking for prognostication with regards to how it will play out if such a law were to pass. I'm not convinced that it's all good and no bad for landowners - even for landowners who don't hunt anyone else's property. Here's what's rattling around in my head on this issue. 1. I've asked this before but forget the answer: Other states have no-trespass laws but people post most everything regardless. Why is this? Is it because in western MN people visiting from ND trespass if there are no signs because they are used to that system "at home"? So it seems like nobody is going to be freed from the task/expense of posting their land - at least not for a generation. True or false? 2. Will there suddenly be much more pressure on PLOTS, game management, state, etc.? Or will permission calls just increase a lot and people will continue to hunt unposted land, but after having obtained permission. 3. I understand it's not that easy/common for enforcement of no trespass. And law enforcement, not wardens, handle this. Won't enforcement calls "go through the roof" and create an overwhelmed law enforcement situation? I can't imagine the uptick each season opener. 4. Some people were born to cheat. Right now there's a lot of land unposted so they're "satisfied with what they have to hunt", with an occasional cheat here/there if they see game while driving around. If suddenly everything is posted, will this create more people that have a chip on their shoulder about landowners and develop an "oh well, I'll just hunt wherever" attitude. True or false? 5. What's the current trespass penalty? - and is it sufficient to act as a deterrent? 6. Would a no trespass law prevent jackholes from tearing down signs and offering up the "I didn't see the poster" or "I didn't see a signature" type excuses? That would be a pro I guess. No more excuses for cheating. 7. Would a tax-payer supported program involving no-cost installation of "walk-in" posting for landowners who don't care maybe take the sting out of things for the non-landowners? 8. Would poaching increase? These are just a few things I wonder about. In general, it seems like mostly a losing situation for [B]both [/B]landowners and non landowners, but maybe it'll just "be different" but will all work itself out in the end? One thing I can't figure out is what is so broken now that landowners with power/influence need to change it? If they have land, then the majority of them also have the $ to post and the influence to get law enforcement to prosecute. What are landowners actually gaining from such a law? If it's simply freedom from the expense/hassle of posting that seems minor. Is it freedom from the "excuse" guys who claim it wasn't posted properly? What's genuinely driving this movement? I wish I had a better appreciation for the landowner perspective. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: Jiffy
11 minutes ago
DUI Attorney
Latest: svnmag
26 minutes ago
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Davy Crockett
55 minutes ago
N
Jap Beatles
Latest: NodakBob
Today at 8:17 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: bucksnbears
Today at 7:59 PM
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: Jiffy
Today at 7:12 PM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Yesterday at 9:51 PM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Wally World
Yesterday at 2:52 PM
W
Tailrace
Latest: walleyewanker
Yesterday at 2:06 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:43 AM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Thursday at 12:11 PM
National Grasslands Roads
Latest: Walleye Slayer
Thursday at 9:23 AM
Z
Soybeans
Latest: zoops
Thursday at 6:09 AM
Outdoor adventure bucket lis
Latest: svnmag
Wednesday at 10:32 PM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: CatDaddy
Wednesday at 10:12 PM
N
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: NodakBob
Wednesday at 7:27 PM
A
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Auggie
Wednesday at 6:13 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
No Trespass Prognostication
Top
Bottom