NWT on Lake Sakakawea

dblkluk

★★★★ Legendary Member
I was out fishing the east end both days of the tournament and 4 days prior to the tournament as I happened to be on vacation that week. Both mornings of the NWT I tooled out through the tournament boats in garrison bay around 6:45 and I was out and was fishing by the time they took off. I'd be willing to bet 75% went past Indian Hills and north falling somewhere between deep-water and the hook. I would guess 95% went past Douglas Bay, lol. Although I was only out fishing for eaters and not targeting tournament fish, both days we had 5 in the well by the time the last tournament boat went by................
And the tourney was won 4 miles from the ramp.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do those boats carry enough gas to make it all the way to van hook and back?

At WOT, most will be running around 2-2.5 mpg. I think most of the 21ft boats have 60-65 gallon tanks so 8lb island would be in range but would be tight. It’s basically 30 miles from garrison bay to Indian hills, and another 25 miles to shell, so 60 miles gets you into the arm, 120 mile round trip.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do those boats carry enough gas to make it all the way to van hook and back?
Most used pretty good discipline and maintained 35-40mph which gets them up closer to that 3.5-4mpg mark. I know of several that went to shell (55mi) and back using this method and returned with 10-15gals left in their 56-gallon tanks. Friday mornings ride out with the east wind blowing right down the pipe, I don't think there were too many that saw over 30mph.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've ran from garrison to the beacon, 7 miles west of Inidan hills, and back a few times with the new rig which is an 80 mile round trip and it's pretty much spot on a 30 gal run clipping along around 50-52 mph & 4500 rpm. That's 2.66 mpg. It's 16 miles further to get to shell. That'd be a 42 gallon round trip leaving 20 gallons to spare. Realistic range is about a 160 miles. That said, in general the arm is well within range for most of the pro's without refueling depending how hard they run. I could probably get to flag and back but it'd be tight, I'd have to watch my speed a little.

If I back it off to 35 mph, 3.5-3.6 mpg is about what it settles in at. With that said, on a 120 mile round trip, the difference of running 35 mph vs 50 mph is an entire hour of fishing. Considering most can run 60-70 mph at WOT (conditions allowing), clipping along at 65 mph vs 35 mph is going to add more than 90 minutes to your fishing time. The questions actually becomes is it worth a 1/2 hour refuel time to run WOT versus 50 and be able to make it with out a refuel. turns into the same amount of fishing time but you might beat some one conserving fuel to the spot.

Lots of things considered by these pros when making these long runs.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most used pretty good discipline and maintained 35-40mph which gets them up closer to that 3.5-4mpg mark. I know of several that went to shell (55mi) and back using this method and returned with 10-15gals left in their 56-gallon tanks. Friday mornings ride out with the east wind blowing right down the pipe, I don't think there were too many that saw over 30mph.

Firday morning got a little sporty around 9am on the east end but then laid back down, wasn't terrible at 7 am for take off but very well could of been rougher as you went west.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Firday morning got a little sporty around 9am on the east end but then laid back down, wasn't terrible at 7 am for take off but very well could of been rougher as you went west.
I'd be surprised if that pretty Yar holds a full 60, mine is pretty religiously 56, I can't get much more trying to pack it in.

I ran a camera boat, and we were pushing 3-3.5 footers at the peak at Nishu and just west of there, Ventusky had the wind map perfectly blowing up the pipe, including wrapping the curves at Beulah etc. Couldn't hide from it on either shore, so I'm sure they were all very happy to see it had laid down for the return trip.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I speared a rogue wave Friday just west of Nishu, I can attest that it was breezy over there :ROFLMAO:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only filled the boat twice this summer, as my fishing is all within 8 miles of the ramp, usually about 5 miles a day max.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only filled the boat twice this summer, as my fishing is all within 8 miles of the ramp, usually about 5 miles a day max.
That could be al lot of gas depending on size of tank.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any fish to be had 100 yds from the landing in a small craft with no sponsors?:cool:

I’ll just say yes, there are fish within a 100 yds of the tournament launch, I may have caught one or two last week, lol. Are they tournament fish, nope, atleast not the ones I caught or could see on the graph, they taste good though, ha ha.

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
I was out fishing the east end both days of the tournament and 4 days prior to the tournament as I happened to be on vacation that week. Both mornings of the NWT I tooled out through the tournament boats in garrison bay around 6:45 and I was out and was fishing by the time they took off. I'd be willing to bet 75% went past Indian Hills and north falling somewhere between deep-water and the hook. I would guess 95% went past Douglas Bay, lol. Although I was only out fishing for eaters and not targeting tournament fish, both days we had 5 in the well by the time the last tournament boat went by................
Can you give me a depth to target? Thx

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
sure, generally we found
Can you give me a depth to target? Thx
Sure, generally we found them in 16-25 fow. Most consistent depth was around 23 ft but they were certainly moving throughout the morning and day to day. Mega Live helped keep us on the fish immensely. Weirdly, when the wind blew into the shoreline, they actually slid out deeper instead of moving into the shallower water.

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
sure, generally we found

Sure, generally we found them in 16-25 fow. Most consistent depth was around 23 ft but they were certainly moving throughout the morning and day to day. Mega Live helped keep us on the fish immensely. Weirdly, when the wind blew into the shoreline, they actually slid out deeper instead of moving into the shallower water.
Ty sir

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think a majority of big guns care less about MPG, per fishing it they went by us like Indy 500 most stopped at Indian hills takes 5 minutes back to full throttle and home. Hell their 5 to whatever days pre fishing is a lot of gas money. In Thousands no problem. Keep them oil wells going boys.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 65
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24