Official NDA Guide to Mountable Fish Lengths

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first "big" walleye is in my office, 25", I recall about 6 lbs. About 25 years ago. I released a 28" about a week ago, and if the math works (girth times girth times length divided by 800) it was just shy of 9 lbs. I let it go right away, but am still considering a replica. But I have big feelings about this fall, so am gonna hold off.

I have a 10 lb 11 oz rainbow replica in my office. Caught that in the middle of the night, and it died in the boat. Cut it up in the morning, and had severe taxidermist's remorse a day or two later. So, sent off for a replica.

Chinook would be nice to be 15 lbs. Not sure about the other species. I usually only ever catch them as collateral damage.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with what someone else said...weight should be included. I have a 30in eye on wall that was 9.3 and a 28 in eye on wall that is 10.2. Weight can play a major roll when full of eggs.

Founding Member
Founding Member
22" smallie..hollay.
I threw back an 18"crappie one time, it was as thin as a paper plate almost. Huge mouth on it thou. Thew a 48 3/4" northern back as well also. It was thin, had half a tail and was beat up.
With walleyes I go by weight, waiting on a 17+ now days. I might go to the grave waiting for that one. Out of state that is. If I catch a ND or green back teener I'd probably have to mount it thou. ;)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first "big" walleye is in my office, 25", I recall about 6 lbs. About 25 years ago. I released a 28" about a week ago, and if the math works (girth times girth times length divided by 800) it was just shy of 9 lbs. I let it go right away, but am still considering a replica. But I have big feelings about this fall, so am gonna hold off.

I have a 10 lb 11 oz rainbow replica in my office. Caught that in the middle of the night, and it died in the boat. Cut it up in the morning, and had severe taxidermist's remorse a day or two later. So, sent off for a replica.

Chinook would be nice to be 15 lbs. Not sure about the other species. I usually only ever catch them as collateral damage.

I'm still waiting for my double digit rainbow to put on the wall. Got a couple in the 7 range.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My girlfriend always tells me that length does not matter (as I cry in her arms).

I have only caught one fish that I would consider mountable and it was a 7lb rainbow I pulled through the ice in WY. Threw it back after a pic

Kenneth

Established Member
My girlfriend always tells me that length does not matter (as I cry in her arms).

I have only caught one fish that I would consider mountable and it was a 7lb rainbow I pulled through the ice in WY. Threw it back after a pic

c*ck push-ups.

you're welcome.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any fish on the wall. But I have set my goal at 30+" for an eye. I have released eyes up to 29.5". As far as the rest go, idk. I let two crappies over 16" go last winter and one 16.5" crappie. I've carved sun fish up to 11.75" and they were delicious. I wouldn't mount a shark, or a bass. I think my biggest large mouth was around 7lbs and my biggest smallie was near 20", all got released.

Kenneth

Established Member
I don't have any fish on the wall. But I have set my goal at 30+" for an eye. I have released eyes up to 29.5". As far as the rest go, idk. I let two crappies over 16" go last winter and one 16.5" crappie. I've carved sun fish up to 11.75" and they were delicious. I wouldn't mount a shark, or a bass. I think my biggest large mouth was around 7lbs and my biggest smallie was near 20", all got released.

11 3/4" sunfish? That needed to go on the wall if true.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most if not all of johnr's avitars would rank high on my mountable list.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not real interested in length. I believe weight is the true representation of the fish. Remember when Sak was a slough? I wouldn't want to gaze upon a 30in 6lb fish. Not wrong/just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Fall in the tailrace is my best suggestion. Mid august-ish...

JK knows damn right. Throw the biggest jointed Rap you can find.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
what length northern is that generally?

prior to catching and not being able to revive a trophy northern, i had set a mark of 48" for a mountable northern pike. The one i caught and couldn't get to go back was a 46" 23.25 pounder.

I've always hoped to catch the 10 pound walleye before I put an 8 pounder on the wall. My first walleye over 8 was an easy release. Short of 28 (27") and stout. Numerous 8's and a 9 since but nothing that i was willing to put on the wall so guess it'll have to be a 10.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not real interested in length. I believe weight is the true representation of the fish. Remember when Sak was a slough? I wouldn't want to gaze upon a 30in 6lb fish. Not wrong/just me.

- - - Updated - - -

JK knows damn right. Throw the biggest jointed Rap you can find.

Actually, JK knows damn well to listen to dirtymike, who knows damn well to listen to his dad, apparently. And shadrap 65 knows all this too.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
length is not nearly as important to me as weight. walleye needs to be 9lbs 1oz (enough to beat my old man) still don't have one yet:;:huh perch needs to be 2lbs and I would need two of em so you can pretty much throw that idea out the window for me. as far as anything else they just go back in the water for someone else to enjoy.

SB43

I have always thought 30" for Walleye and that would be also based on weight...I figure if it is 30 and looks healthy I would mount it. Northern 40" but I broke my own rule on that one and put back a 43", Bass would be about weight. I am looking for around a 7lb largemouth and anything over 5lbs for a smallmouth. I have a 16inch crappie on the wall and would like to get a couple 12" bluegills.

1016413_565330382182_1637091735_n.jpg

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye-32" or 12# plus
Northern- 46"
LM Bass- 24"
Smallmouth- 22"
Crappie- 16"
Perch- 15"
Bluegill- 12"

I am not a fish mounting guy but that list is about what I'd guess. I've pushed a few of those lengths and not come close to others. Lots more to it like others have said, circumstances of the catch, abnormally heavy but short fish, etc. But interesting to see everyone's perspective!

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I always said a pike over 20lbs would go on the wall, but I managed a 43 3/4 inch 21lber this last weekend and couldn't do it. It didn't have the girth I was looking for in a wall hanger. I figure a 8+lb walleye would be a wall hanger too, but if I catch one I may decide to toss it back in hopes of something bigger.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a 28" 8 Pound walleye and a 20# northern. My goal is to beat my wife's 48" 26.5# northern.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not big into pan fish but one of the first fish my daughter caught with a little help from dad was a 13 inch black crappie that was in the spawn mode and super pretty so I got that mounted. Walleye 12lbs but broke my rule and have a 11lber on the wall. 44" pike and have a 46" on the wall. Probably would not get any bass mounted but if I were it would be 7lb for LB and 5lb for SM. I would like to get a big male brown trout mounted 12lb minimum. I have not tried that hard for them for the last 5 years or so. About 10 years ago I was casting in the tailrace and an older gentleman and young bow walked down and started fishing about 50 yards from me. About a 1/2 hour later the boy come over asked for help and if I have a scale. So I walk over and the old man asks me what kind of fish is this. He pulled a 14lb brown from the water. I told him what it was and that I would get it mounted if I were him. It was a big male and had a awesome kype and red dots all over. He said this was his first time fishing at the tailrace. I was so damn mad. I had been busting my ass for years trying to get one. That is how it goes I guess.
My dream is to get one more walleye mounted 12lb minimum and a sauger at 4 or 5lb depending on its coloration. I would have those 2 added to my existing walleye with rock and such. You guys that mentioned salmon and lake trout go to Fort Peck. My first time out there I caught salmon up to 18lbs, lakers up to 17lbs and a rainbow at 10lbs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41