One eyepiece, two spotting scope bodies?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody use the same eyepiece but switch between their spotting scope bodies? I have a zeiss with a 65mm body and they eyepiece is 15x-45x but looking to get the 85mm body that would essentially make my eyepiece magnification a 20x-60x.

My concerns are time of switching and dirt, dust and debris between transferring the eyepiece between the scope bodies when leaving the pickup and heading into the hills. Is this a problem? Should I just purchase a whole different spotter set up with the eye piece for the pickup?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would a greater objective diameter change the power of the eyepiece? Am i missing something here?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure. Works the same on all spotters with a removable eyepiece pretty much from what I can tell. I'm guessing it has to do with the convex depth and shape of the objective lens on the body may have some extra effect on the magnification.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's news to me too. My Swaro eye piece stays the same power regardless of body objective.... As far as switching bodies with the same eye piece I see no problem with that in fact Swaro markets their newer spotters for that purpose.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would a greater objective diameter change the power of the eyepiece? Am i missing something here?

Zeiss and Leica eyepieces work that way. The larger obj bodies are also longer.

The issue I see with this is that I'd always have the eyepiece on the wrong body. Get in the truck and forget to swap them the youre digging for/in a pack to get the eyepiece or smaller spotter. More likely is that if get to my classing spot well away from the truck only to learn that my eyepiece was still in the truck. I'm forgetful.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new swarovski modulars work that way too I believe. It is a 60x on the 65 and 85mm bodies and then goes up to 70x on the 95mm body.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76