Opinion on releasing fish?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyone's opinion on releasing fish. A lot of tournaments are now catch and release, which is good, I suppose. I do wonder how often the fish still dies. I hear opinions on this in a wide range. I am curious what everyone thinks. Is there a magic depth that is okay for release? On the plus side, at least there are far more people practicing catch and release than back in the day. When I was a kid we kept and ate everything we caught.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is always a fun topic. IMHO, and from what I've read, it kind of goes like this: Tagging studies show very low (25% ????) re-catch rates for walleye. I don't think we are so silly as to think that these fish "learned their lesson" for trying to eat something with a hook in it, so we need to look at what/why these fish aren't showing up in later years. I'd suggest:

1. Any walleye caught from a body of water with temps above 65 degrees has a reduced chance or surviving.
2. Any walleye pulled up from a depth of 15 ft has a reduced chance of survival.
3. Any walleye that is exhausted from a lengthy fight because you choose to use 4 lb test line is likely to have a reduced chance of survival.
4. Any walleye that has been held in any way that doesn't support it's mid-section is likely to have a greatly reduced chance of survival. That's right, we kill lots of those nice 28" walleyes every whenever we hold them up by the gills for a quick picture before we release it and pat ourselves on the back.

The bottom line is that if you go out and catch 10 fish to bring home a limit of 5, you probably killed 6 or more fish for that five fish limit.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Release some if you want to, dont if you dont. Dont release anything that is injured or bleeding. I dont catch many fish deeper than 20ft of water typically so I dont think thats a big issue for me.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Catch and release is a good thing. Some common sense and there is a good chance of survival. A lot of truth in Allen's post. I have seen a lot of people "fling" fish back in the water bitching about "little shit". Well that's part of the game, your not gonna catch just " big " fish that are to your liking. If you don't like catching little fish, hang up your rods.
Its an enjoyable thing for all ages.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know about "fling" --- but the little fish that was hooked down deep and you ripped out a piece of him/her - fling them into your live well or some pelly will like you.

If i read Allen's take - you might as well clean that 28" incher.

My take is that the tourneys should all be size it where you caught em.

The whole bring em back to the launch has to upset the whole process. Sure they can get back to where they live - but most dont. If you read about bass (which have a higher IQ) it takes them a year to get out of the bay they were put into by the access (proof in the pudding this weekend - i tried it and its true) - they didnt move far in one week. They stunt as to many big ones in one area. etc etc.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a topic that I really don't put much thought into. If the fish dies after I release it, I really don't care, not even a little.
Still not keeping the huge ones, and throwing all little fellas back, if it dies, it dies.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a topic that I really don't put much thought into. If the fish dies after I release it, I really don't care, not even a little.
Still not keeping the huge ones, and throwing all little fellas back, if it dies, it dies.
Exactly! If we are fishing over 15 or 18 deep both of us reel in slowly!

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I understand the people that are upset about tournaments, but I do like that more and more are C&R. The catch, picture, release is my favorite.
I am probably going to get shunned for this, but I am okay with fishing down to 30 fow. I almost never fish deeper than that, and even if the primary bite is in 30’ I will try to find an active pod shallower.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A fish has zero percent chance in the livewell, and significantly better odds back in the water in most conditions if handled quickly and carefully. If 75% of released fish died there would be floaters everywhere.

What's worse: a longer fight on light line or ripping them straight up from the depths with heavier line? I don't think it's the latter in most cases, especially for deeper walleye.

Water temp is everything in my experience. Colder the better for the fish, regardless of depth.

I never feel bad about releasing a big fish. At least then it has a chance.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Dont just sloppily throw every fish back without thought. Revive the ones with lower chances.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74