Paid off

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Property tax is like the maintenance fee at your vacation condo.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are other ways to collect the revenue besides property taxes. Property taxes need to be abolished. Tap other sources and use the oil revenue and the legacy fund to fill in the gaps.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy how people are so willing to be raped when it comes to taxes. Using terms like it’s a “necessary evil” and “who’s gonna maintain roads” and all the other BS. Yes taxation is a “necessary evil” to a degree but the extent that we are being taxed is criminal. Where are they gonna get money for the roads you ask?? Uhh gas tax, property tax, sales tax, income tax, licenseing fees, specials, the list goes on and on. They have plenty of money to give illegals free medical insurance and aid, foreign countries aid to the tune of billions of dollars and give military protection to the tune of billions of dollars, pay politicians millions of dollars to live lavish lifestyles. I think they can find ways to maintain our roads...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Crazy how people are so willing to be raped when it comes to taxes. Using terms like it’s a “necessary evil” and “who’s gonna maintain roads” and all the other BS. Yes taxation is a “necessary evil” to a degree but the extent that we are being taxed is criminal. Where are they gonna get money for the roads you ask?? Uhh gas tax, property tax, sales tax, income tax, licenseing fees, specials, the list goes on and on. They have plenty of money to give illegals free medical insurance and aid, foreign countries aid to the tune of billions of dollars and give military protection to the tune of billions of dollars, pay politicians millions of dollars to live lavish lifestyles. I think they can find ways to maintain our roads...
But the money does not trickle down that far.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

Easy to say, but nearly impossible to do.

I've thought and thought and thought, about how things "should be", and the simple truth is, there is no simple truth. Things have become so convoluted, and every single group feels entitled to acceptance and subsidization. The old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" has never been more true. Democracy, as in "majority rules" is all but unheard of any longer. I'm not saying we should all just give up, but it's going to take solutions from people a LOT smarter than me, in order to straighten this mess out.

I'm ALSO not saying that it's hard to find people smarter than me...

And this's all assuming we're on the same page. Throw in nut-jobs who want to tear our government or country apart, and it's even worse.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang right it feels good LBrandt, Congrats! I paid off my 10 yr loan on my property several years ago, however, I'll be going back into debt again once I get a loan to put a new home on the property. Real don't have any choice, this 40 yr old trailer I have its on its last leg. Guess being in debt is the American way. I can never understand for the life of me how people can be so happy when they are piled with payments up the wazoo

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
CONGRATS!!! It takes intense self control and perseverance to pay off stuff like that! Hopefully I can join you in the club in a couple years, we had everything paid off a few years ago and unfortunately got a mortgage last month. My wife won that battle - I can’t stand debt! When I look at how much the annual interest is on that sucker, all I can think of are the awesome hunting trips I’m giving to the bank each year.

Guess being in debt is the American way. I can never understand for the life of me how people can be so happy when they are piled with payments up the wazoo

Being broke is the American way because of comparison and the debt that comes with it. I have LOTS of friends who make much less than us and have 2 new vehicles, a nicer house, better vacations, student loans, etc... and about once a week I need to remind my wife what it looks like behind the scenes and talk her out of the comparison culture.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife made the mistake of buying me a Dave Ramsey book a few years ago. When I attempted to implement a fairly aggressive budget to get out of debt (I'm not known for my patience) things got a little hairy for a while. I have since backed off the dream of paying cash for what I want, when I want, like the good old pre "Married with Children" days...

I can imagine what life would be like with no home or auto payments, and it's pretty F'n awesome. Unfortunately she doesn't have the vision, yet.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife made the mistake of buying me a Dave Ramsey book a few years ago. When I attempted to implement a fairly aggressive budget to get out of debt (I'm not known for my patience) things got a little hairy for a while. I have since backed off the dream of paying cash for what I want, when I want, like the good old pre "Married with Children" days...

I can imagine what life would be like with no home or auto payments, and it's pretty F'n awesome. Unfortunately she doesn't have the vision, yet.
I feel your pain my friend........ had the opportunity to buy a small chunk of land a little while back. Nothing big but coulda made it into a small hunting retreat and resold after some sweat equity for a profit.... idea was flawless in my head.... i even had the type of trees for the shelterbelts picked out. ran it by the wife and she just couldnt understand my angle on things. We bought a camper instead......even after I explained to her how land is an appreciable asset and a camper is depreciable...... on top of that the money spent camping can get stupid if your not careful.... I guess her logic was that the kids are only little once and they need memories not money in the future. Its a fine line between doing whats smart and doing whats right in life as sometimes they arent one and the same.....I still cring when i think about what coulda been down the road but man do those little kids love to camp!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you have to pay property tax, it is not really yours.

that is an ugly truth

- - - Updated - - -

I paid off my first home in 7 years, I think the payments I made were roughly double what the bank asked. Interest rates were relatively low at the time if I recall, not real low. Then the wife needed bigger and better, it got complicated and way to near the height of the boom we bought again, against my better judgement. Fast forward to the big slowdown and find out she emptied saving, emptied kid's savings, spent hail insurance check, didn't pay tuition for kids or any of the medical debt. Refianced the house, rolling in her over priced soccer mom cunt mobile just in the nick of time, one more month and my pay stub would have had us shown to the door. Very sobering to sign a mortgage that will be paid off when i am 78. Fast forward. I got lucky with some good work and got out from under most of the smaller debt, been paying a bit extra on the mortgage. Patiently waiting for either divorce or her mid life crisis to end, she is like a kid that got dropped on her head, I just can't walk away. Walking away will put our kids right in the line of fire for her financial needs. Moral of the story. Women are evil, rent that shit short term. Flame away

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Handed over the last farm payment today. The homestead is now ours. Glad to have that monkey off our backs. Yea Haw!!!!!!!!!!!:D

You really never own, the land.....If you don't pay the taxes, They'll take right away from your azz.

- - - Updated - - -

Handed over the last farm payment today. The homestead is now ours. Glad to have that monkey off our backs. Yea Haw!!!!!!!!!!!:D

You really never own, the land.....If you don't pay the taxes, They'll take right away from your azz.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is an ugly truth

- - - Updated - - -

I paid off my first home in 7 years, I think the payments I made were roughly double what the bank asked. Interest rates were relatively low at the time if I recall, not real low. Then the wife needed bigger and better, it got complicated and way to near the height of the boom we bought again, against my better judgement. Fast forward to the big slowdown and find out she emptied saving, emptied kid's savings, spent hail insurance check, didn't pay tuition for kids or any of the medical debt. Refianced the house, rolling in her over priced soccer mom cunt mobile just in the nick of time, one more month and my pay stub would have had us shown to the door. Very sobering to sign a mortgage that will be paid off when i am 78. Fast forward. I got lucky with some good work and got out from under most of the smaller debt, been paying a bit extra on the mortgage. Patiently waiting for either divorce or her mid life crisis to end, she is like a kid that got dropped on her head, I just can't walk away. Walking away will put our kids right in the line of fire for her financial needs. Moral of the story. Women are evil, rent that shit short term. Flame away

One question, how did she get away with all of this without you knowing about it?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread makes me want to stay single, haha. I'm working my way to a debt free 40, the older a guy gets the scarier it is to let a woman into your life and ruin everything you've been working towards.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad truth on the woman ordeal, its all nice with sugar till the sugar turns to shit. Do the pre nuptial thing guys, tell her the paper work on all the assests has to be done before you tie the knot. Sorry, I won't let some gal take every last thing I worked my ass off for. (Probably reason I'm still single....ha ha ha)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the few debts I don’t mind is 3.5% mortgage debt. After the tax deduction(mortgage interest), it’s some pretty inexpensive debt if you have other money working for you. Debt free will keep you out of financial trouble though.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
One question, how did she get away with all of this without you knowing about it?

I was working a lot of long hours, and trust. I and no one else would ever consider her to be irresponsible or dumb. Grew up in the same small ND town, I made the assumption we had similar common sense, one of many assumptions that I made that bit my arse.

- - - Updated - - -

ha ha ha... wiggler's "#### mobile" slayed me

???? not following guywhospeaksinpoundsigns

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don’t mind me asking, how did she get rid of the cash? Gambling would be the one hard to detect.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was working a lot of long hours, and trust. I and no one else would ever consider her to be irresponsible or dumb. Grew up in the same small ND town, I made the assumption we had similar common sense, one of many assumptions that I made that bit my arse.

- - - Updated - - -

???? not following guywhospeaksinpoundsigns

Thats rough. I think guy means your "C" mobile comment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10