Painting a rifle and scope

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to do a bit of buying/selling/trading with firearms as it provides an opportunity to learn what things you like and what things are a wise investment. After doing this for the last few years, I recently pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a rather expensive rifle and optic for a DMR setup. Solid black isn't conducive to concealment when hunting deer/coyote/pronghorn/etc. I've spray painted some guns but I'm hesitant to Krylon this setup as it cost more than I usually spend on 2 guns.

Gameplan: base coat is duracoat FDE, might add some Krylon over duracoat to break up pattern. Anyone have a better idea? Dipping is too... unoriginal?

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always pay to get your barreled action cerakoted or duracoated where it can get baked on which would be more durable finish. I haven't used the spray on stuff so not sure how it holds up.

If you are doing a synthetic stock, make sure to rough up the surface some so the paint sticks better and you need to clean off any dirt and oils. I have used krylon and it doesn't last if you use your stuff.

adarms1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want something really nice and unique, send it down to Branden Burkhart at Custom Gun Coatings. All the patterns are hand laid and sprayed one color at a time, if you can dream it up, I have no doubt he can spray it. Will it be cheap? Most likely not, but it will be top notch.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep custom gun coatings does awesome work. There is also a guy in Jamestown that does really nice cerakoting to i have a rifle that proves that.:cool:

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpgCustom gun coatings

image.jpgRattle can. Both work!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to do a bit of buying/selling/trading with firearms as it provides an opportunity to learn what things you like and what things are a wise investment. After doing this for the last few years, I recently pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a rather expensive rifle and optic for a DMR setup. Solid black isn't conducive to concealment when hunting deer/coyote/pronghorn/etc. I've spray painted some guns but I'm hesitant to Krylon this setup as it cost more than I usually spend on 2 guns.

Gameplan: base coat is duracoat FDE, might add some Krylon over duracoat to break up pattern. Anyone have a better idea? Dipping is too... unoriginal?

I can't understand why you would want to destroy something so beautiful. Excuse me, I'm going to go have a cry.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wk2,

IHHO, your rattle can job is FAR superior. That gun looks real damn good.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

An AR I pinned up was Kryloned up and turned out good.

image.jpg

Before shot

i will never sell a gun and they are tools IMHO. I have several that are Kryloned up.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't understand why you would want to destroy something so beautiful. Excuse me, I'm going to go have a cry.

I'm with KW, I tend to go for the more "natural" beauty of a gun myself. Wouldn't painting a gun decrease it's book value?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with KW, I tend to go for the more "natural" beauty of a gun myself. Wouldn't painting a gun decrease it's book value?

Using a rifle decreases its value, which is why I generally won't own "collector" firearms. Painting can decrease the value, but after they filmed Lone Survivor and American Sniper there are a lot of folks waking up to the idea of concealing the big black rifle in your hands. The U.S. military branches have now made it common practice to spray paint rifles. If the military does it, it must be good, right? ;-)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with KW with blue steel and wood. I don't reckon it much matters with the "plastic" and stainless etc.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wk2,

IHHO, your rattle can job is FAR superior. That gun looks real damn good.

problem is rattle can will wear off custom gun coatings work will stand the test of time and he is a great guy that does great work

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Custom's work is far superior to my rattle can! But my rattle can was in a pinch and I was tired of wrapping a rifle I will never sell. If it wears off I will just paint it again.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would never paint the barrel or action or scope. My favorite for the stock is sprayed on zolatone. It looks great and will last forever.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to make sure my point is understood. W2 and Huff's rattlecan jobs look great. If I were ever to buy a synthetic gun I would seriously consider asking one of them to do the job. IMHO, repeated touch up spraying would add character and would be no more inconvenient than a thorough cleaning.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76