Parvo

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was supposed to pick up our new lab pup tonight but the guy called and said the litter has parvo. Some are even receiving IV treatment. He figures they picked it up when he took them in for shots. I've never heard of it and am worried about long term effects down the road. Has anyone had to deal with it and have any advice?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
not good deal IMO puppies should be vaccinated for the parvo virus 6. 8, and 12 weeks, if the vet business has dogs who are contracting parvo to puppies then to me seems unsanitary conditions. I could see the puppy getting parvo from a trainers other owners dogs especially if their puppies are in with all dogs in a big kennel building. Puppies should be kept from other dogs till 8 weeks and up to 10 to 12 weeks if these dogs are not familiar to the owners, Never had parvo but my first puppy did get gardia from drinking from snow melt since the puppy was from a litter in December. Also another thing is if the mother has been vaccinated for parvo since most owners get a yearly vaccination for these viruses and if so the puppies should get some of the antibodies from their mothers milk until they receive their first three shots.
long term effects of parvo
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5856261/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89