Pike Spearing

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally got things together and learned to spear pike last winter. I had wanted to do it for years and it was one of those things I just never got around to doing. I am now fully addicted! My father in law had speared in MN before moving to ND a couple of years ago, so he got me started with some equipment and advice. If anyone has any tips or tricks they would be willing to share, I would love to hear them! I am now one of those crazy people that can't wait for thick enough ice to be out on. I was farming within view of the lake last week and kept running different spots that I could see that I had boat fished before through my mind to see if they would be good spearing spots. It also works out nicely that it gets too dark to spear about the time that the walleye bite kicks in each evening.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me once I get into it. I plan on getting set up for it next winter. This winter was spent collecting all the necessities for ice fishing.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you were ever interested BP338 I would be happy to show you my setup. I bought a small permanent shack last fall and used it all winter. This spring I picked up a used pop up shelter so I can jump around a little easier to try spots or set up to fish walleye with one of them as well. I know that not knowing anyone that speared was one of the reasons it took me so long to try it. Had a walleye fanatic cousin that stopped to check it out one day last year and saw me spear a pretty big pike. Next day he was back at the shack with his spearing registration number ready to try it!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a date! (cough cough) a bro date of course...

Heck ya that sounds good to me. I have a pop-up Eskimo house that gets pretty dark that would probably work too. It would just be all the other fun toys that I would need to invest in. We'll have to set a date when the season comes around.

You know that feeling when you were a kid and you were about to do something so epic that you could hardly do it so you could tell your friends how awesome it was?!

73336e534549df6d78635f8ba6275a47-1.jpg

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good! Don't be afraid to remind me this winter. I have "old guy" memory.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was into for a while. Carved a few decoys which also was a pretty good hobby. One thing you maybe already do, but I used to save egg shells and throw on the bottom for marginal water clarity.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did do the egg shell thing. Helped the depth perception a lot. I guess potato peels or navy beans will also work. Makes the fish stand out against the bottom a lot better.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been trying to spear for a few years, have yet to get one, not trying hard, couple times each winter is all. I had a pike come in once this year, but missed it. Try white rice on the bottom, works really well, just toss it around the outside of your hole and it will spread out as it falls. Its cheap also.

Walleye Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got back into spearing this year and what a blast we had. Ended up with a limit about every time we went. Eating all kinds of pickled yummys. As far as egg shells, potatoes and beans, we use lima beans and that seems to do just fine. Usually try and set up in about 6-8 feet of water and don't be afraid to switch decoys or adjust decoy height from the bottom until you find what they want. There was days you couldn't do anything wrong and days you had to play around until you found the right thing. It's addicting!!
Spearing.jpg

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rice is a good idea. That is a lot of pike Walleye Guy! I never got more than 3 in one trip.

gripnrip

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've recently bought big chubby darter's for decoys, I think they're size 24 but they are about 6". Had to order straight from salmon couldn't find them locally. Just pull the hooks off put it on a heavy pole and rip it hard. Be ready cuz the pike come in angry.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry from salmo.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've recently bought big chubby darter's for decoys, I think they're size 24 but they are about 6". Had to order straight from salmon couldn't find them locally. Just pull the hooks off put it on a heavy pole and rip it hard. Be ready cuz the pike come in angry.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry from salmo.

Why take the hooks off? If they bite, reel them in, if they dont, spear them, its a win/win!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just got back into spearing this year and what a blast we had. Ended up with a limit about every time we went. Eating all kinds of pickled yummys. As far as egg shells, potatoes and beans, we use lima beans and that seems to do just fine. Usually try and set up in about 6-8 feet of water and don't be afraid to switch decoys or adjust decoy height from the bottom until you find what they want. There was days you couldn't do anything wrong and days you had to play around until you found the right thing. It's addicting!!
Bullhead Tourney 2015052.jpg

Very nice, I think a lot of it has to do with finding a good lake for spearing, unfortunately I never did... If anyone wants to make some suggestions for next winter, shoot me a PM. Couple of the lakes I ended up at were so murky, you couldnt see the bottom in 4 feet of water... :(

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have speared on Horsehead lake in a couple of different years and it had fairly clear water in both those years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76