Pocket Gopher

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get em on occasion. I wish I didn't have neighbors cuz I would just poison the hell out of the little buggers and let em lay. Hubbard feeds has some stuff that works well but I need to let the neighbors know I have used it and I wander their yards and mine for weeks after using the stuff to make sure there aren't any that die above ground.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to buy something from Home of Economy in Forks that was a smaller pellet laced with something. I could use a prod to find the tunnel without opening up the mound hole. I'd take a funnel, stick it in the prod hole, and place some granules into the tunnel. Worked wonders, but then I moved back to Bismarck and haven't found that product ever since.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20160929_191556051.jpgIMG_20160928_172602910_HDR.jpgThis is what I like to use works very well. Just be sure to cover hole so no light can be seen by the pocket gophers.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem with leg hold traps is that if you don't have time to check your traps fairly often you will have gophers getting their leg caught in the trap and they will chew it off leaving you only with their leg.

I don't see that as much of a problem. The goal is to get rid of the gopher. Me thinks a one footed gopher with a raging infection will not be long to this life. I never caught a one legged gopher nor did I ever have one chew it's foot off, but I checked my traps twice a day.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see that as much of a problem. The goal is to get rid of the gopher. Me thinks a one footed gopher with a raging infection will not be long to this life. I never caught a one legged gopher nor did I ever have one chew it's foot off, but I checked my traps twice a day.
True, but if you are going to turn it in for bounty, most places want the tail or either the back feet or front feet, not one gopher leg.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
animals are pretty hardy creatures and probably more likely than not to survive a single leg amputation i thinks.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plugged holes only happen if there are two tunnels but you only find one and only set one trap. Then the gopher will come into the hole via the other tunnel and will plug the hole. Sometimes you only see the opening to one tunnel, but dig a little further back and you will find two tunnels. Then set one trap in each tunnel. There you go. Plugged holes become a rare occurrence. Been doing this since I was 5 years old.

i believe you, however i've set traps in both directions quite a few times and have found branches where i can set 3 and still never got one, always filled in with dirt. I've traced tunnels between mounds and set traps in them 10-15 yards from the mound with no luck. If you are in the devils lake area and ever hear a loud bang out by the rural water tower, either kim jong got better with missles or i got some dynamite for gophers.

- - - Updated - - -

LB, if you catch these gophers, i'll gladly take you fishing. I can usually put a guy on one or two fish.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your having trouble with plugged holes you are most likely allowing light or air in. Make sure everything is covered up so they do not feel any air or light coming in the tunnel. I like to use a small chunk of plywood and cover it with the dirt to seal it up. They are just like muskrats if they feel any air or see light they want to plug it up.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
as a Kid, we used to trap gophers for the feet as you could turn them in for $.25 a foot. We would ride around on our bikes ideally a day after a rain and try to find all the new mounds. we would use an electric fence post to poke around the mound til we found the tunnel then as efficiently as possible would dig a small hole slide the trap in the tunnel and stake it with the fence post and cover it back up. If it got buried we'd try one more time, if after two days it wasn't triggered we'd pull it and move on. I think sometimes if you make a big commotion they abandon the tunnel as they are worried about predators. Also don't set them with a hair trigger somewhere in the middle tension is about right a lot of times they push dirt over the traps before they get to them.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welp, Check one was a failure. Nialls (Yes, i named him Nialls the Pocket Gopher) packed the trap full of dirt and somehow didnt manged to set the trap off!.. I reset the trap with less resistance for round #2. Will report back, wont be able to check it again till monday.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember, Minnesota plays ay the Ralph this year, Oct 20, 21.
So pop those dead ones in zip baggies and freeze them for the games.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do a number of soil pits every year at Extension field days. Every now and then you come across a krotovina. It's the remains of an old gopher, badger, etc.. hole. Here's one in the A horizon I saw not too long ago.
Krotovina.jpg

Well the trap was set last night and now awaiting results !, Took me a while to find his run but was surprised by the size of it when i did, Iam suspect iam dealing with a trophy caliber sized pocket gopher d16158483e80fa66ace85e969bd94b35.jpg ( and no this is not my last colonoscopy picture)

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little home made naplam in my yard,I mix diesel and gas 50/50,use a steel rod to poke holes along their tunnel routes,add fuel in each hole,find the trap door,little extra juice goes in,farmer match on each end of the tunnel and stand back,fumes travel along the tunnel and POOF POOF along the entire tunnel flames shooting up and no gohps or moles left alive.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your having trouble with plugged holes you are most likely allowing light or air in. Make sure everything is covered up so they do not feel any air or light coming in the tunnel. I like to use a small chunk of plywood and cover it with the dirt to seal it up. They are just like muskrats if they feel any air or see light they want to plug it up.
I never cover the hole and I catch a crap ton with few plugged holes. To each his own.

LITREOFCOLA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had very good results using poison millet, but I wouldn't suggest using poison if you have a dog that could possibly eat the dead gopher.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0330.jpgWell i connected over the weekend and Nialls meet his maker! and my dirt excavation seems to have stopped. If anyone knows how to score pocket gophers Iam looking to get this one measured, iam thinking it will go boone and crockett. lol,,, Thanks guys for the pocket gopher advise.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52