Porcupine

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright anybody know how to lure a porcupine out. A few weeks ago my dog found a skunk in our neck of the woods. Now yesterday my yellow lab was outside and found a porcupine had only a few quills luckily. A quick search around the property brought me nothing. A few hours later my Black lab comes back with quills in her. Another more thorough search finds nothing again. Any way to lure this bastard out so I can rid my yard of it?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bow fishing rig works if they are under buildings or in a culvert..... If you can see them.

Luring them out.. I don't know.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Porcupines love salt. Soak a rag in a strong saltwater mixture and nail it to a tree. He will come out to check it out, might be at night though.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Porcupines love salt. Soak a rag in a strong saltwater mixture and nail it to a tree. He will come out to check it out, might be at night though.

Or wrap said salt rag around a jar of tannerite, then put it on YouTube so we can all see it. Imagine this method could result in a few quills around the yard.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about putting the salt rag in a trap, live or otherwise. Would think that should work. I think I would use a live trap with the dogs running around.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about putting the salt rag in a trap, live or otherwise. Would think that should work. I think I would use a live trap with the dogs running around.

Oh I suppose that would work, but I like slim's idea better. :;:thumbsup

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Slims idea too. My thought was live trap the rascal, take him somewhere else and then put the tannerite to good use!:;:rockit

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a cat, I never have problems with porcupines or grasshoppers.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh yes. Reminds me of a tom cat that "claimed his territory" inside our boat that was tarped. He sprayed the inside so bad we could only handle 2 hours of fishing before we had to go back in try and clean it out. I would've loved to take that cat out hunting......

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just dispatch them with a 12 gauge... what ever i got in the gun at the time... they are slow and you can get fairly close and make 1 shot work

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76