Portable fish houses

Ss34ever

I've decided I'm going to upgrade from my old non-insulated Clam Yukon to a thermal. I'm looking at the Clam Yukon xl thermal, Clam Nanook xl thermal, or the Eskimo Sierra thermal. I'm no spring chicken anymore, so looking for lighter portability. Any opinions, thoughts, experience appreciated.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat. Wanted thermal, but didn't want to deal with the extra weight so I upgraded my heater to the big buddy instead. About 6 more lbs but double the btu's.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat. Wanted thermal, but didn't want to deal with the extra weight so I upgraded my heater to the big buddy instead. About 6 more lbs but double the btu's.
And 10x the condensation ;)

the reduced wind flap and reduced condensation/icing is worth every ounce if you can at all manage the additional weight of thermal

Ss34ever

I just found out I might be able to put a thermal canvas on my old sled. I need to call clam and find out. I actually like my old sled and seats, I would be happy putting a new canvas on. Anybody done this? My old Yukon has the smaller poles but looks like the Yukon Thermal x might work.

Ss34ever

I've been using the big buddy for a few years, just don't like on the condensation.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just found out I might be able to put a thermal canvas on my old sled. I need to call clam and find out. I actually like my old sled and seats, I would be happy putting a new canvas on. Anybody done this? My old Yukon has the smaller poles but looks like the Yukon Thermal x might work.
I’d suggest this over buying a new one. My replacement fit perfect.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is what I did to my clam voyager I few years ago, it was a voyager xl and replaced the tent with a Jason Mitchell full thermal. Good idea and you will save money doing it this way. 👍

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using the big buddy for a few years, just don't like on the condensation.
Agreed, but everything's a tradeoff. I can't lift an insulated house into my truck, so I'll deal with a little condensation to stay warm.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 years ago I bought a Jason Mitchell XL Clam flipover. I could barley load it by myself in my truck. I made a trailer for it out of an old boat trailer to solve that. They're heavier than I thought they'd be thats for sure. You'd have to go to the one man flip-over if you want it light enough to throw around. If I were in my 30's if wouldn't matter, but over 50 is a whole other story.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like some have said, the flip overs are pretty heavy. After watching my brother-in-law struggle getting his in and out of the truck, I decided to go with a hub (Eskimo 3I). That is pretty light and easy to deal with. Then the whole family started ice fishing and we needed more room so we got the 650XD. Talk about a heavy SOB. The thing I like about the hubs is that you can set them up whichever you like.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made an extension of sorts on my hitch cargo carrier and a piece of angle iron for edge the of my clam voyager to rest against and bungy and /or strap it down. Its a lot easier than lifting up into back of a truck. Has worked well for me anyway.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Clam Nanook 3 years now. Just heat it with a Sunflower heater on low setting. Most days I still have to unzip the door part way. Can't say that it gets steamed up inside but I'm usually only out a few hours. Got a small motorcycle trailer with "18 clearance to haul it. I left the second chair out so the dogs could come in.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought the Eskimo Sierra Thermal this year - loading into the truck is not an issue...pulling it around by hand is another story. With all the gear in the sled, sure its more than 100 pounds. Even with the runners on the bottom, sucker is tough to pull with any amount of snow on the ice. But the Eskimo is easy to set up and take down - very warm as well.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Jason Mitchel Nanook and removed all that heavy hardware for the seats and just use a folding lawn chair. Easy to load in the back of a truck. I think the weight of it was all that seat hardware.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Jason Mitchel Nanook and removed all that heavy hardware for the seats and just use a folding lawn chair. Easy to load in the back of a truck. I think the weight of it was all that seat hardware.
I want to do that also, but I was thinking of ticking my sled out with a plywood cover and put seats on it. I'll probably make it heavier, but that doesn't really matter to me now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14