Portable fish houses

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easy fix for those that are complaining about weight and loading. Use loading ramps and push the house up the ramps into the pickup box. Easy as pie.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Here is a question I am looking to get the insulated fabric that clam, oe otter any of the others use and build the old school style shack with the fold up plywood ends. Any idea where to buy bulk fabric?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are looking to make a kick ass fold up ice house, call around to you local construction companies and ask them if they would have any thermal blankets they would like to sell I'm sure they would be way cheaper then buying thermal fabric from a company that makes fish house. I may be wrong here and maybe money is no object just a suggestion for you bud.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah those concrete thermal blankets are huge, even if they are damaged torn there would be plenty to make a 4x8 fish house

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need thermal in those portable 4×8 fold down home made shacks. I made one 25 years ago and used 10 mil poly. I've stored it in a shed and it still is God to go. I used to be able to drag it around easily by myself but somehow it got heavier every year. Holds heat really well I think.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a question I am looking to get the insulated fabric that clam, oe otter any of the others use and build the old school style shack with the fold up plywood ends. Any idea where to buy bulk fabric?
I am guessing by the time you have the lumber, hardware, and fabric...one would just be better off with a cheapo store bought. That's coming from a guy who has built a few of them over the years.

That being said, if I were to do it today I would use moving blankets as the fabric. It'll breathe well and still provide darkness and insulation.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a 4x8 back in the day using pit liner... black on the outside, white inside. Probably would have lasted if stored inside, but it did not. Boughten ice houses were for the rich folks.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Well the big thing for myself is having the floor. I have the flip over ones just like having a floor. I know they are alittle heavy I just pull it behind the ranger so no big deal

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the big thing for myself is having the floor. I have the flip over ones just like having a floor. I know they are alittle heavy I just pull it behind the ranger so no big deal
My first fish house was a suitcase style which was nice because it's was easy to set up and kept you out of the elements. The issue I had was that it frosted up bad, and if you didn't have a place to bring it in after fishing all day they fabric started to crack from continually being frozen. That is the why I believe flip overs started off with having atleast a thermal top so to keep condensation from ruining the fabric.
That being said a thermal blanket would eliminate the condensation forming on the inside of your ice house. JMTC

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a 4x8 back in the day using pit liner... black on the outside, white inside. Probably would have lasted if stored inside, but it did not. Boughten ice houses were for the rich folks.

Haha , I made a couple of those too. One was 4x8 with 4x4 floor so I could stay inside and pick up and walk away to a new spot. I should have taken better care of that one , it worked pretty good . Back then I think you could build one for about $ 20.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I built two of the 4 x 6 with the blue tarp. I cut a one ft by 5.5 ft long section out and would drill four holes in a row. I would have my youngest son in with me. And my two older sons would fish out of the other one. I used 3/8 plywood and they weighted close to 80 lbs. We caught lots of fish out of them and they cost about 25.00 to build. I had a few friends that also built them.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new pole latches in the newer flip over ice houses make me want to kill somebody

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built two of the 4 x 6 with the blue tarp. I cut a one ft by 5.5 ft long section out and would drill four holes in a row. I would have my youngest son in with me. And my two older sons would fish out of the other one. I used 3/8 plywood and they weighted close to 80 lbs. We caught lots of fish out of them and they cost about 25.00 to build. I had a few friends that also built them.
Wind would blow and tarp would get loud. Blue plastic tarp. I actually had one with canvas Mine were 4x8 8ft bed rested on tg

Those were the day

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first shantie used an orange version of the blue tarp, didn't make noise in the wind, I would get the tarp pretty tight with the inside poles. Fun memories of those houses.

Ss34ever

I ended up ordering a new thermal tent from Clam. I like the setup of my old sled, that's what swayed my decision. Thanks for everyone input.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I think Bismarck canvas would have it

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19