Price of land just keeps going

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
My elderly mother and her younger brother renewed their CRP contract in 2018 for $93 an acre in the Red River Valley. 150 acres. My mother's half is in a trust for my brothers and me. It has been in their name for a good number of years. Probably wish it was in irrevocable versus revocable trust, done in 2017. She has been in an Assisted Living Facility for a year (has been receiving long term care insurance benefit for partial pay of cost). Dad passed last year. Looking to working to change to irrevocable trust to keep this land from having to be liquidated in the future. Not much land but wishing to keep.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to say 3 Roosters , I think you missed the boat but I could be wrong.

The only advice I have is parents and kids should talk about the fact that we will ALL die someday and come to an agreement how to handle your estate once you are incapable of decisions or gone.

Everyone should also have a living will, unless you are ok with being hooked up to a machine to keep you alive for the rest of your life. (I'd write my own version if the law would allow me to) .

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

The only advice I have is parents and kids should talk about the fact that we will ALL die someday and come to an agreement how to handle your estate once you are incapable of decisions or gone.

Everyone should also have a living will, unless you are ok with being hooked up to a machine to keep you alive for the rest of your life. (I'd write my own version if the law would allow me to) .
Haven't really missed the boat other than moving to Irrevocable. But all is well thus far. Will and Trust and Living Will and Health Care Directive in place.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don’t think land selling for way above what you can make off the land and not breaking even is not a huge problem then I got something to sell you…….!

The more land that gets sold for way over the actual value will just make land ownership even more out of reach for the common man. Land ownership by exclusively the rich is what spurred the migration to the US and from the eastern US to the homesteaders moving west. The rich owning all the land will not end well for the US and we must all be concerned of the long term implications. This is more than just about hunting access.

This isn’t just a problem in ND. Land all over the west is selling for ridiculous prices. If you think pasture land in ND is not productive can you imagine paying 5-10k for the sage brush land where grass barely grows? The much millionaires don’t care how much it costs or how much money the land will make. Access that was once open to the public for decades is being closed off to allow for the guides and their clients who are paying over 5 grand to shoot a deer or elk. Hunting cannot become a rich man sport otherwise the sport will die……
If you haven't been watching, it has been turning to a rich man sport for nearly 20 yrs. Sad thing . . .

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am stunned at the number of "rich people" homes when I drive around Bismarck, Fargo, etc.

The number of shops, 5 new vehicles, mansions, Ranger boats etc. relative to the average "nice home" when I grew up is jaw-dropping.

I clearly chose my career poorly - or my folks screwed up and didn't pass their wealth onto me.

If it is becoming a rich man's sport it's probably because there are WAY more rich men now than when I was in college. The standard of living in ND is simply not at all what it used to be.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am stunned at the number of "rich people" homes when I drive around Bismarck, Fargo, etc.

The number of shops, 5 new vehicles, mansions, Ranger boats etc. relative to the average "nice home" when I grew up is jaw-dropping.

I clearly chose my career poorly - or my folks screwed up and didn't pass their wealth onto me.

If it is becoming a rich man's sport it's probably because there are WAY more rich men now than when I was in college. The standard of living in ND is simply not at all what it used to be.
Years of low interest rates let lots of people buy more home than one could afford back in the 80s..

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck has certainly changed in the last 20 years with the amount of $$ flowing around. Oil definitely changed things and there just seems to be way more disposable income then when I was a kid. There are also a lot more families with good duel incomes of $100k+ each. It makes a giant difference if the wife is a pharmacist rather than a stay at home mom or secretary.

You look at all the good land along the Heart river, and it's almost entirely owned/leased by guys from Bismarck now. Oil guys and business owners.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a chance this "love of hunting" money/influence could actually save some of the land from the plow?

Too late here in the east. the lack of cover for wildlife is apocalyptic... right out of a horror movie for wildlife.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a chance this "love of hunting" money/influence could actually save some of the land from the plow?

Too late here in the east. the lack of cover for wildlife is apocalyptic... right out of a horror movie for wildlife.
Well the wealthy guys do tend to manage it for hunting but its not going to be available to anybody else. The other land that is changing hands from smaller family farms to the big boys is instantly plowed from corner to corner, bushes/trees/sloughs ripped out and devoid of any wildlife. On top of that it is instantly posted both ways because heaven forbid somebody steps on their stubble field.

I've lost way more hunting land to the new generation of farmers than I have from wealthy guys buying it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
soil conservation in Burleigh will plant trees and outdoor heritage plays 75%, pretty good deal...
Have to have minimum acreage and can get deal on water well too plus few other things.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As i got old i start thinking of the past versus where we are at today. Starts with the computer i am typing on and communicating. Still have my slide rule from the past.

A lot of roads where for me to go down and now i am getting to the end of that road i chose many years ago. Had five kids and for me the wife had a full-time job at home along with all the part time jobs she had. Finally outgrown the one suit i bought years ago.
The family is better for that.

Hunting, land prices, not sure where it will end up but glad i lived in the times i did. Wealth out there is unbelievable as demonstrated when you look at what some have. There life appears better than mine wealth wise. Maybe a lot of paper they are paying back on but still the bank had a reason to lend the funds.

Find ways to work with what we have, feel good about it, wish for many things that will not be, fond memories and work on making new ones. Just wish all this hate in the world would go away but it has been there since we have been writing it down.

i chose not to go the way camper has gone. Must be hard for him to feel good at the end of the day. Would rather bring positive to the conversation versus tearing it down. db

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
As i got old i start thinking of the past versus where we are at today. Starts with the computer i am typing on and communicating. Still have my slide rule from the past.

A lot of roads where for me to go down and now i am getting to the end of that road i chose many years ago. Had five kids and for me the wife had a full-time job at home along with all the part time jobs she had. Finally outgrown the one suit i bought years ago.
The family is better for that.

Hunting, land prices, not sure where it will end up but glad i lived in the times i did. Wealth out there is unbelievable as demonstrated when you look at what some have. There life appears better than mine wealth wise. Maybe a lot of paper they are paying back on but still the bank had a reason to lend the funds.

Find ways to work with what we have, feel good about it, wish for many things that will not be, fond memories and work on making new ones. Just wish all this hate in the world would go away but it has been there since we have been writing it down.

i chose not to go the way camper has gone. Must be hard for him to feel good at the end of the day. Would rather bring positive to the conversation versus tearing it down. db
db, don’t worry about me, I’m extremely happy, fishing, hunting, golfing, and traveling when I want. Why don’t you call out the maga people who are trying to tear down our democracy? I’ll never understand people like you. I’m a right leaning moderate who hates what tRump has done to America. There’s no respect for any authority anymore. If didn’t start with tRump but it’s gotten many times worse since he was president. He made it acceptable for people to be racist and sexist. You of all people should be able to see what is going on. It’s sad.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok but it seems your only purpose/goal is to piss people off and you have learned how to do it and do a good job of it. You have been unable to justify your stand.

Your goal is not to add to this site but to try to destroy it. It is hard for me to understand why V got rid of one person but has left you alone. To respond to me so quickly you must troll every moment looking for your name being used in order to continue with your crab. Try talking about outdoor stuff once. One could look forward to your comments. But as it is you do not add to the good of this site with any worth wise statements.
Like i said at the end of the day, one like you would have to wonder what your purpose is in life when you do not add for the good of the day to anything.

Find the word respect and how that word works. db

Last edited:

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok but it seems your only purpose/goal is to piss people off and you have learned how to do it and do a good job of it. You have been unable to justify your stands.

Your goal is not to add to this site but to try to destroy it. It is hard for me to understand why V got rid of one person but has left you alone. To respond to me so quickly you must troll every moment looking for your name being used in order to continue with your crab. Try talking about outdoor stuff once. One could look forward to your comments. But as it is you do not add to the good of this site with any worth wise statements.
Like i said at the end of the day, one like you would have to wonder what your purpose is in life when you do not add for the good of the day to anything.

Find the word respect and how that word works. db
Wow! Ok, I’m the problem, not the guy who changes my posts or the the guy who calls me diaper camper, or the guys who disrespect our President.
Go back and try to find any post from me disrespecting tRump when he was president, I only started after others went after Biden. And they say it’s not a cult. I’m out of here. I’ll be back when tRump is thrown in jail and I can say, “See, I told you so”. You think you’re wise beyond your years, but you’re not. Besides, I’m probably older than you, but don’t go on like you.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Older than me at 77 and act like you do??????????????

Respect needs to be shown if one is to get respect back. Sometime Trump lacks and Biden sometimes just does not warrant.

Yes, some of the things said about you by some of us is crap but you bring it on yourself.
When will it stop for the good of this site? Who will be the first to step up?

Do we need an adult like V to do it? db-2

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Older than me at 77 and act like you do??????????????

Respect needs to be shown if one is to get respect back. Sometime Trump lacks and Biden sometimes just does not warrant.

Yes, some of the things said about you by some of us is crap but you bring it on yourself.
When will it stop for the good of this site? Who will be the first to step up?

Do we need an adult like V to do it? db-2
You and many others need to realize someone disagreeing doesn't automatically mean disrespect. Camper takes a lot more shit than he dishes out. One thing this site does better than most is letting discussions play out. Most forums are over censored.

roamer on dl

I can kinda understand land being high near bismarck, but ellendale is in the middle of nowhere essentially. They do have pretty good dirt there tho I think...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84