RAPALA Rip Raps (and other like style lures)

The_owl

Established Member
Is anyone having any luck with these lures while chasing walleyes?

I bought quite a number of these dang things when they were on sale - Rapalas, Bagleys, I think even some other brand. They claim to be lipless cranks but I have no idea of knowing how deep they go and how much line to put out. They also claim to be great jigging lures. I see YOUTUBE videos of pros using them jigging and pulling up 15 fish in a 12 min video (joking) but just haven't had one iota of luck.

Just curious if anyone is using them with any success? How deep? What kinds of conditions, ect?

I will admit I run FIRELINE Metered braid on my reels (which i LOVE, BTW) and used a 6' flouracarbon leader - maybe not the most ideal setup??

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use them have started using them allot I like the rattle rippen raps the biggest ones I use a 7 ft pole that has a good back bone and fast tip I like Scheels tournament series and I do really fast and long strokes let it fall the the bottom and rip it again it feals wrong when doin it but when get a nice hit it's fun

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's an entirely different kind of fishing than your traditional crank bait. I've seen them used to good success ripping them off the bottom and letting them sink like cooter said.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've bought some ripping raps and used them with no success. However some people have done well with them. Just heard a report through the grapevine that there was some great success in Deepwater bay using these. Found schools of smelt in 50 feet of water and dropped them down. Ended up catching some very big fish.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there might be 2 schools of thought on these type of lures.....1 that pertains to open water fishing and 1 for ice fishing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88