Raymarine or Lowrance Sonar/Chartplotter

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need a little advice here. As of right now I am running a Helix 9 GPS with i-link terrova 80lb. I enjoy this set up and plan on keeping it as I like the control features that allow me to record tracks and follow them with my minnkota.

But I am in the market for a system with Sidescan and downscan. I have been doing a lot of research and even took a lowrance hds 9 gen 3 class at the sports show just to get a feel for the lowrance model. Nice unit and has a ton of options. One of my favorite is the fact other people on the boat can connect with a tablet or smart phone using the wifi and see what is on the graph as well as being able to control it.

Well after doing some research I found that Raymarine has a unit called the Axion that came out this year. This also has wifi connect option and blutooth. This unit allows 4 types of sonar with one transducer (chirp, DI, SI and 3Dscan). My problem is I have no experience with Raymarine but theirs system seems decent and user friendly from watching some videos. I am wondering if anyone has ever used their electronics? What did you think of them? Customer service and so? Just looking for some input.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my Gen 2 takes a dump I'll be upgrading to the newest Lowrance model I can get. I've seen how well the 3D structure scan works and its a game changer. I've ran with down scan and side imaging; and I hardly use the side imaging unless were fishing the river. You can pick out fish along the banks, next to sand bars, ect.

Down scan is a must to have if you really want to pick out fish tight to the bottom, or fish hung in the trees and weeds. If your a guru for new technology the on board mapping that the Lowrance Carbon has now will also be a game changer. Most Hummin Bird models have the on board mapping but I'm unfamiliar with Hummin Bird units.

Good luck with your choice. It can be hard to do with all the new technology; but I would say that most of the units now are really well made.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm one of the few down here in the gulf running lowrance right now. Saw the Axion demo at a boat show in Destin and as soon as the Axion is available, I'm moving to Raymarine.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest problem I have is making the switch. I know soon as I switch my troller from minn to MG and put lowrance units in the boat, humminbird will come out with a new one that will do everything these other two do. Oh well I guess its only money right.;:;banghead

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look up service warranty on the manufacturer's websites. Lowrance has been in bankruptcy protection since the PWT days, and service on anything over three years old is iffy. They'll offer a special discount on a new one, but that special price is more than a sale price at a box store or even Reeds. On the other hand, Humminbird still services units decades old. It's kind of hidden in the website, but the models they still service are a couple pages long.
I don't know about Raymarine or Garmin.
I was a loyal Lowrance/Eagle user until I was abandoned by their lack of service. Once bitten, forever shy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88