Re Bbl Mod 700

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pard in the Hills is thinking about a 6.5. He has a .243 ADL which hasn't been used since the '80's. Thoughts, economics, suggestions?

Thanks

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's no doubt that Bartlein is top shelf, but check out Black Hole Weaponry. I have several of their barrels and they shoot really well, and are quite affordable.
I would do a Remington barrel nut ("Remage"). That way you can re-barrel yourself with just an action wrench and headspace gauges.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a short action I’d 6.5Creed rather than 260. Actual case capacity is same/same and you’ve got more bullet-seating latitude w/the creed case.

If using a ‘smith rather than a “Nut”, then use whatever the ‘smith wants to use.

In your part of the world I’d just drive it over to Douglas and let them do it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would the swap make sense economically?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^What I mean: Is any collector value destroyed? Would it even out?...estimates of job with bluing or not (like--getting the bbl in the white; cold bluing before installation): Would he be better off buying a new 6.5 Creedmoor? Does this Rem action hold the cache for tasteful improvement with a '70's wood stock? Standard or fast twist?

I realize the above is subjective and I could do my own 'net research: It would be retarded to not tap in immediate available expertise for which I'm thankful.

Cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. I like cheese even as all orange or yellow coloring is fake. Fentanyl is bad and children seek guns in the house to point them at YOU. MYPILLOW has some good deals but none stop bullets.

That is all.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally I don’t sell any of my weapons anymore, I’ve gotten beyond monetary value. I may give you one but it’s not for sale. So I don’t worry about “value”.

Anymore I go stainless, fast twist and as long as I can without it being a pain.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's wrong with 308 Winchester
Nothing. He already has a Ruger American that's a tackdriver--right out of the box with all sorts of 150grn factory fodder.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save the factory bbl if he’s worried about re-sale. Spin it back on @ a later date.

The bbl and work probably costs about what a new Ruger American costs.

I’d go SS and glossy Ceracoat if trying to match the action and keep it looking factory. Nothing wrong w/a stabilized (bedded) Rem wood stock.

To wave a magic wand I’d dig up a Rem Ti take-off and get a Mt Rifle contour bbl.

I also like cheese:

IMG_0235.jpeg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would the swap make sense economically?
Probably not, but if making economic sense was a requirement most of my guns would disappear.

Your right though I would not mess with an old valuable ADL. If he wants a 6.5 it's cheaper to buy the Ruger threaded Predator. I worked up mine ( grandson has it now) to a group between .3 and .4 inches. On the other hand if he wants custom there are BDLs out there with rusted out and/or shot out barrels that can be had at reasonable prices.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not, but if making economic sense was a requirement most of my guns would disappear.
If I used "economic sense" I would never had a moment of enjoyment in my life. 🤣

Sorry, must of slept wrong!
I really like the older Remington 700s so would NOT destroy one. New barrel and new
cartridge maybe. Like what PG said. I would not mess with an old valuable ADL. If he wants a 6.5 it's cheaper to buy the Ruger threaded Predator."
Happy trails. Shoot low they are riding Shetlands!

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the BDL was the "pricey" one back in the day...Anyways, you all rule!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
OT: At this moment I'm gazing upon a M12 16ga I bought for Dad in '94 or so...it will blow the bottom out of a bucket @40 (written about it several times): It turned 100 in January and kicks within African parameters.

I had the chamber/ejection port shaved from 9/16 to 3/4, lengthened the forcing cone and had the steel hot blued. The wood was done with TruOil myself and is something to behold.

The 'smith in Ga. probably got sick of my calls/visits and parkerized the mag tube and half the yoke. Every "now and again" a case weakly ejects with cracked brass: Not TOO concerned as I'm familiar with the old proof standards of Winchester Nickel Steel. It needs to go back to an un-aggravated gunsmith.

That is all.

1688955393524.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93