REAL Gobbler Yelping

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^FWIW and to satisfy mild OCD:

I've read some things purporting your calling sequences should be random. While I agree with that to an extent; IME and various vids; each turkey has a rhythm. I guess being a drummer back in the day causes me to worry about this "rhythm" too much.

I DO believe it's important to vary the cadence, accent and number of strokes after a kill, etc within a 50+ acre radius: Especially in fall...if you don't kill the boss hen.

Post #1 (sorry):

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1 2

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3

1 2

IME: Gobbler yelping in fall can bring in the boss hen dragging a chain of 25,000 or so birds. Don't flock shoot. Let them walk unless you see a big hen in need of lead.

That is all.

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
the gobbler turkey yelping (on the ground) that I have heard throughout the years has been a 3 note cadence

with nothing else (just the one set)

numerous times

I have only heard the 3 note gobbler yelp call

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
@svnmag IMO I have had the best luck in the fall hunting defined roosts. Either in the morning or in the evening. Often times is a one time hunt as some will not revisit that roost soon again. As it gets colder that roost often times becomes even more specific in its location - they wanting a place to get out of the cold winds. Good luck It is so much fun in the fall, you pretty much have the turkeys all to yourself.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 334
  • This month: 166
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55