Road Construction in Bismarck

Mr. Pike

Established Member
Does there seem to an unusually high number of construction projects going on in Bismarck this summer? Everywhere you turn, streets are closed or down to one lane. And what exactly are they doing on ninth Street? As far as I can tell, they're putting in handicap ramps on the sidewalks. Excuse to jack up our property taxes some more?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does seem like more construction than what we would normally see. I'm fine with construction as it's needed, but when they do several of the main arteries at the same time then it becomes a royal pain trying to get someplace.

Mr. Pike

Established Member
Just the other day a couple of guys were going around my block painting the sidewalks with arrows. Seems that I have a couple of tripping hazards where one slab has pushed up over the other. I told them I'll get my angle grinder out and fix it.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does there seem to an unusually high number of construction projects going on in Bismarck this summer? Everywhere you turn, streets are closed or down to one lane. And what exactly are they doing on ninth Street? As far as I can tell, they're putting in handicap ramps on the sidewalks. Excuse to jack up our property taxes some more?
I believe they are using federal money, Biden's " Infrastructure bill " or left over Covid monies for the ADA areas ramps which has been going on for a couple years.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same shit in Minot, one ex city council member said the city has $580 million in street repairs lined up.

Minot also keeps redoing the same shit over and over because they don't hold contractors accountable for things that were fixed the previous year or two.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same shit in Minot, one ex city council member said the city has $580 million in street repairs lined up.

Minot also keeps redoing the same shit over and over because they don't hold contractors accountable for things that were fixed the previous year or two.
The contractors most likely completed the previous work to the specifications designed or it wouldn't have passed inspection and approval. ND is a tough area due to the extreme seasonal weather swings and types of soils we have here. If concrete cracks because of frost heaving should the contractor be held responsible if it was installed to the cities specifications ?

Mr. Pike

Established Member
I believe they are using federal money, Biden's " Infrastructure bill " or left over Covid monies for the ADA areas ramps which has been going on for a couple years.
I sure they'll tack the sidewalk repair to my specials.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't one do the work themselves?
You have to be licensed and bonded to to work on city right away. Now you do have the option to hire a company to do the work, but they have to be on the cities list.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, you have to be bonded with the city...crooks
I would call some on this list to see if it can be done cheaper.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1fZZVAzQ6t11khGarcWvYv
Depending on the size of work required it is hard for a contractor to do small repairs for the cities quoted price. the cities contractor most likely be completing multiple locations in the same area and can lump them together. get all your neighbors together and get pricing from same contractor.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t forget the city will require your contractor to obtain a permit to do the work (they will inspect the work prior to pouring ) . The cost used to be 10% of quoted price but they changed it to a sq ft price, with a minimum fee

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup bend over and take it like a man. Glad I live in the country.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, when I lived in Grand Forks, I helped pour several sidewalk repairs. And while our work was good, we sure as heck were not licensed and bonded.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 328
  • This month: 183
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 130
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 66