Robins-

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ive had a couple wayword robins hangin around all winter before,cold and snowy but today 45degrees,no snow a gaggle of robins show'd,10 maybe more tearing my compost site up scrounging for Insects i suspect.,guess we're over the hump? After next week forcast temps in the 50's guess ill spool fresh line on long rods as ice out may occur (wishful thinking)

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had them all winter here.
In good numbers also.
Never seen anything like it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had a couple wayword robins hangin around all winter before,cold and snowy but today 45degrees,no snow a gaggle of robins show'd,10 maybe more tearing my compost site up scrounging for Insects i suspect.,guess we're over the hump? After next week forcast temps in the 50's guess ill spool fresh line on long rods as ice out may occur (wishful thinking)
I hope you're right. Robins seem to have a penchant for getting ass slammed. I think maybe it's because their genetics haven't caught up with climate change (natural Earth wobble). When I was growing up the river through town would sometimes have idiots cavorting on snowmobiles.

In '83/84ish a pard & I drank a pint of JD one night on a literal (trout holding) creek: Two miles up and two miles back. Thinking of this both gives me the "piss shivers" and amusement as we were drinking whiskey on a creek and ended up a rock's throw behind a state senator's house. We got real quiet and giggled like a "transgender" squatting to piss in the girl's locker room. The lights were off.

Ruffed grouse were once called "fool's hens" because when they were spotted they could be dispatched with a stick. The wild turkey suffered a similar fate.

Point being: The ones which flew away or ran passed on their genes. The spruce grouse in this current "change management" likely because it tastes like shit. I've seen the meat on TV. Sharptail don't have a lot of interface with "pine". I can't imagine the "shit" if they did.

Anyways: The river now only gets a skiff of ice once a year and the creek never shows intention. It's not due to NASCAR.

That is all.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Out this morning with Hank my zoomie fired up golden,35 degrees,sunny no wind,late February...beautiful day waking up.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw my first robin in the yard last weekend. I know some hang out at the capitol all winter in at least some of the past years, but this may be the earliest I've seen one at my house. Oddly, the owls abandoned my place early this winter, I still have plenty of rabbits for them.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been seeing a few Canada geese "paired up" acting like its April already. I wish every winter was like this! 52 degrees, sunny and no wind on February 21st, I will take it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84