Ruffed grouse question.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the outlook this year? I haven't ruffed grouse hunted since a million year ago when I was in high school and college in Bemidji. After school and after classes we hit the gravel roads, mostly north of Bemidji. Didn't have a dog...didn't seem to need one. Them Ruffed grouse were not that intelligent. We seemed to get more of them traveling slowly in the vehicle versus walking. This, I might add, where we had to have unloaded guns, cased. They are one of the best tasting birds! The wife and I will be spending some time in the next week up by Icelandic State Park, doing some golfing, and taking the side by side to Pembina Gorge to do some riding. Wish the fall colors were in full fall color.. we will also pack the shotguns in case there may be some grouse that want to be table fare around Walhalla. Our Springer Spaniel has never hunted Ruffed Grouse so this should be entertaining..hahaha. Any tips from any of you seasoned Ruffed Grouse hunters?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the outlook this year? I haven't ruffed grouse hunted since a million year ago when I was in high school and college in Bemidji. After school and after classes we hit the gravel roads, mostly north of Bemidji. Didn't have a dog...didn't seem to need one. Them Ruffed grouse were not that intelligent. We seemed to get more of them traveling slowly in the vehicle versus walking. This, I might add, where we had to have unloaded guns, cased. They are one of the best tasting birds! The wife and I will be spending some time in the next week up by Icelandic State Park, doing some golfing, and taking the side by side to Pembina Gorge to do some riding. Wish the fall colors were in full fall color.. we will also pack the shotguns in case there may be some grouse that want to be table fare around Walhalla. Our Springer Spaniel has never hunted Ruffed Grouse so this should be entertaining..hahaha. Any tips from any of you seasoned Ruffed Grouse hunters?
Take a clean pair of undershorts along because they scare the crap out of you when they take off. :poop:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably misspoke. The roads we traveled were throughout the woods. Some prairie trails, some logging trails, but all were in the woods. ..not gravel roads like we in ND know them now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 226
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 55