running planner boards ?

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have recently bought a set of planer boards that i wanna try. Any of you guys that use them got any advice or tips on running them ?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Don't buy 2 left ones. That's the mistake I made with my 1st set. Can still use em, but I prefer to run a left and a right.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you get tattle tale flags? I find those to be very helpful. I would try and go somewhere that you can catch some northern and practice with them that way. It takes awhile to learn them.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did not get the tattle flags yet was going to see how they worked with out them first the flag cost as much as the boards.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't buy 2 left ones. That's the mistake I made with my 1st set. Can still use em, but I prefer to run a left and a right.
I almost did that luckily i noticed before the check out.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's like fishing with my brothers kids, whole lot of hoopla going on in the race to tag an eye

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what brand boards? the big thing with them is getting the right clips. the stock ones on all boards are junk. I would run Offshore OR-18 clips on whatever boards your running. Hopefully you bought Offshore's. If you run braided you will have to wrap them around the clips or they come off easily. With mono you can get by wrapping on the first clip and not on the second. This is just a start however lol

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kinda with johnr on this one. It's amazing to see the guys that know which rod has to come in first before you land a fish, etc.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer are churches tackle walleye boards any good? I got a set as a gift and havnt played with them much yet. I need to figure out cranking basics before I start using stuff like that

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the Church tackle smaller boards for spinners. I run the Off Shore boards for cranks. I change out the sprinns to a heavier one for lead core. The OR-18 clips are a must.

As far as the Church tackle boards go, double wrap the front clip and you should be good to go.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they work ok for shallow to mid depth cranks. they're horrible for pulling deep cranks. I have a set of church's I never use anymore. If anybody wants to try them I'll gladly let you use em to see if you like them. If you like em and want to buy them cheap I'll sell em lol

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a love hate relationship with my boards. Using them to pull stickbaits shallow to pulling a RR 800 with a 8 OZ. snap weight. to every crank in my box.

Fireline ( I use 10# ) will require you to get the OR-18 snaps but I use them with my 10# XT also for the front clip on the board

Tattle tail flags are a must have IMHO due to weeds plugging up a crank or dragging small fish.

I have seen the boards rigged with two OR-16 clips work great with mono only.

OR12R_2014_WEB2.jpg

Do you need boards to catch fish..... Heck no but is shure is cool watching a board get yanked back by a big fish.

I will someday witness a big WAE sinking a board, that is a bucket list item for me.

I also have the reversible mini planers, and like them for shore trolling.

This is a great explanation on shuffling boards by the master Mr. Parsons

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a love hate relationship with my boards. Using them to pull stickbaits shallow to pulling a RR 800 with a 8 OZ. snap weight. to every crank in my box.

Fireline ( I use 10# ) will require you to get the OR-18 snaps but I use them with my 10# XT also for the front clip on the board

Tattle tail flags are a must have IMHO due to weeds plugging up a crank or dragging small fish.

I have seen the boards rigged with two OR-16 clips work great with mono only.

11994229_10101534577726025_126106901_n.jpg

Do you need boards to catch fish..... Heck no but is shure is cool watching a board get yanked back by a big fish.

I will someday witness a big WAE sinking a board, that is a bucket list item for me.

I also have the reversible mini planers, and like them for shore trolling.

This is a great explanation on shuffling boards by the master Mr. Parsons

I had a ten pound salmon hit a crank on a board. It pulled it about six feet deep and then it changed direction and the board blew out of the water about five feet. It was cool as heck

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the boards still in the original packaging? If so, I would honestly return them and get these instead. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Large...695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1ec057ef

I've used Offshore boards as well and these work just as well for less than half the price. Shipped to your door with the tattle flags for $30 each. Also, you can use braid in them just fine.

I don't know if it's really worth the hassle though to run boards. The only place I think they're good for is when you have a nice long shoreline with maybe 3 guys in the boat to get out an extra line or two. I also try and keep the lures up off the bottom 5 feet or so when I use them.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a set of these and haven't tried them yet. The first thing I noticed however is that they don't have as much weight in them as the off shore's and the weight is further back. This will be a problem running deep divers. So I'm going to modify mine and add some weight forward. That will also help get them further forward while out.

- - - Updated - - -

here is a great article on how to make your boards work better..
http://www.bloodruntackle.com/planer-board-mods-tips/

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
DSCN1822 - Copy.jpgHere is a pic of mine while trolling. I have not had any problems at all with the weight being too far back. With reef runners they still run great.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you look at a pic of the tattle tail flags on the internet you can build a set with supplies you would buy from Runnings.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the boards still in the original packaging? If so, I would honestly return them and get these instead. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Large...695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1ec057ef

I've used Offshore boards as well and these work just as well for less than half the price. Shipped to your door with the tattle flags for $30 each. Also, you can use braid in them just fine.

I don't know if it's really worth the hassle though to run boards. The only place I think they're good for is when you have a nice long shoreline with maybe 3 guys in the boat to get out an extra line or two. I also try and keep the lures up off the bottom 5 feet or so when I use them.

I don't know how that is half price ??

http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/...r-boards-accessories/off-shore-combo-bag.html

I buy my stuff from Franks and they come with a free storage blanket thingy

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, I stand corrected. That is by far the best price I have ever seen on Offshore boards. Hope they work well for you!

So where do you plan on using the boards? The river? Oahe?

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
So where do you plan on using the boards? The river? Oahe?

I fish the river and
oahe evenly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82