Saddle Hunting Newb

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2015
Posts
4,723
Likes
465
Points
358
Location
ND's Flatter Half
Ugh. I hate to even bring this up. I feel like saddle hunting is the e-scooter of the archery woods. Just makes me go yuck.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man at 42. Bite me.

BUT -- I like the idea of getting in and out of the woods without dragging extra gear and/or having to leave stuff behind that may be tampered with.

Case in point: I'm in the city herd management hunt again this year and will likely get in a zone with a lot more public foot traffic. I've had no issue leaving my stand and a couple high up climbing sticks behind (I aways take the lower one with me to keep honest people honest), but I just have a weird feeling this go-around.

I took a stroll through Scheels and jumpin' Jehoshaphat -- you could buy a couple decent, standard hanging stands for what you can get rigged up with for saddle hunting. Do you really need all that stuff? All the extra ropes and clips and whatnot? It's a bit overwhelming.

I do have a lineman's rope and three climbing sticks that'll put me about 10' up a tree. Can I just get the saddle and call it good?

Any saddle hunters out there want to chime in with your experience, good bad or otherwise, I'm all ears.
 




yakandfish

New member
Joined
Oct 8, 2026
Posts
2
Likes
0
Points
1
I am an old grumpy guy, too, but at 47.

Got into bowhunting late in life about a decade ago. Bought a saddle kit recently and have been up in a tree twice this week. It is going to be a learning curve for sure. Did manage to rush a shot on a coyote the other night. Missed him. Looking back I know I should have positioned my body differently for the shot. Exciting though.

Not sure I would compare it to e-bikes. I bike a lot too and I would say e-bikes would be comparable to a ground blind or using a crossbow....it opens it up to though who physically cannot handle getting themselves up into a tree using sticks and a saddle, or other limitations. Maybe more similar to singlespeed riding. You can hike in deeper, less weight, etc.
 

yakandfish

New member
Joined
Oct 8, 2026
Posts
2
Likes
0
Points
1
I do have a lineman's rope and three climbing sticks that'll put me about 10' up a tree. Can I just get the saddle and call it good?

Any saddle hunters out there want to chime in with your experience, good bad or otherwise, I'm all ears.
I was in the same boat. I got a saddle and a tether and a platform. I am a tinkerer too so been doing some mods.
 

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Posts
722
Likes
105
Points
235
Location
Eastern ND
I saddle hunt at 46, have for 5 years, and have not looked back. It makes you more mobile and able to adjust on the fly. I can walk you through what you need, and what is a luxury. What info are you looking for?
 


Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 70
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
Top Bottom