Sausage seasonings

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys uses for sausage seasonings for pepper sticks, summer sausage, German sausage etc..?
Looking for prepackaged seasonings to order unless anyone is giving away their family recipes?? ;:;rofl
All kidding aside I have used a lot of the high mountain and other seasonings that can be store bought, but have never been real impressed with them and always end up adding some of my own spices.
Any good ones that you guys recommend?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
North country. Looking for a Minot resident to mail me some!!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa Josh's for my pepperoni and summer sausage. I add some mustard seed if I want a bit more fire.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owens BBQ.. Maple flavor is the shit... I just had it in ground sausage last year but this year iam going to stuff it in to summer sausage casing.. partially freeze till firmed up then run it through a slicer for patties !.. great sausage for breakfast with eggs

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owens BBQ.. Maple flavor is the shit... I just had it in ground sausage last year but this year iam going to stuff it in to summer sausage casing.. partially freeze till firmed up then run it through a slicer for patties !.. great sausage for breakfast with eggs

I need to try this out! Would work pretty good for burgers too I bet

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you don't plan on smoking the sausage and just want the round form, use the plastic bulk bags, freeze, and slice. I do this for breakfast patties and works well. Plus, your not wasting the more expensive summer sausage casing if you are just going to slice it.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yep, highly recommend their seasonings. Just received 3 ground/formed bacon seasoning and 2 summer sausage seasonings today. Also over the weekend my wife found a container of Tatonka Dust in the freezer...........Haven't been able to get any for a long time so that was a heck of a score!!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a sausage but the ground and formed bacon seasoning from owens is pretty good. Got an idea to try after reading this going to stuff into summer sausage casing then smoke and slice to make bacon patties.

north14

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try the Philly Cheesesteak from Owen's BBQ if you are doing country style, excellent!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a sausage but the ground and formed bacon seasoning from owens is pretty good. Got an idea to try after reading this going to stuff into summer sausage casing then smoke and slice to make bacon patties.

I like that idea.. please report back with how it turns out

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marty and owensbbq.com has been nothing but good stuff. I just made a quick batch of the parm and garlic out of my rifle buck and it went over really well. Have made many of the different pepper sticks and all have been very good.

I dont know who makes it but, its labeled hunters sausage. Has lots of red pepper in it. Combined with some high temp cheddar, its also really good.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys! I will definitely be giving some of them a try this winter!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had some shroom and swiss brats from Owens last night. They were tasty.

There have been a couple things I wouldn't try again, but there are a lot of variables that go into how the end product turns out. I do like the instructions that come with everything, and Marty and Tanya are very helpful if you have any questions. Lots of options so it's a matter of finding what your favorites are.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using a mix of 1/2 north country and 1/2 hunters for my ring sausage. Usually include high temp cheddar as well. Smoke with hickory and cherry. Gonna have to try the bacon flavor from owens.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5