Scent Eliminator vs. Cover Scent

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always thought it was as scam that as hunters we spend a ton of $$ trying to cover our scent with all the sprays that are available out there, rather that try to smell like the area we are hunting. I got an idea from someone who hunts near an active pasture.... he puts cow dung on his clothes. My wife would divorce me on the spot if I did that, but it got me thinking as to why we don't try to smell like our surroundings rather than cover-up what we smell like. If the deer smell grass, corn and sweet clover all day long why don't we try to blend in more?

So last year I did a little experiment and cut a bunch of sweet clover into a pot and boiled it for 20 minutes, drained it through a coffee filter twice, and put it in a spray bottle. Last year was a good year for sweet clover and it was everywhere around where I hunted, so that's what I used. I would soak my clothes in that spray every day I hunted and it seemed to work great as I don't "think" I ever got winded. What was interesting is that I took my clothes out of the closet yesterday to do some organizing and they still smelled strongly of sweet clover.

This year we will not have sweet clover so I'm not sure what I'll do. I may have to just cut some grass and boil that up. We also have some pine trees in the area so that may be worth trying.

Anyway, it worked well so I thought I'd pass it on. I do refrigerate the spray bottle of scent cover, not sure if it would spoil or not.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's an interesting idea. I hunt around cows and don't really care if I step in a fresh patty when I'm out and about.

I do play the wind and use a ground a blind. I think in the last 2 years, I've had two deer directly downwind of me. One busted me and one doe just did half circles around my blind a few times but then walked away.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absinth wormwood, sage, and pine all make great cover scent as long as each is used in an applicable area.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sold on it. I may have to cook up a couple different batches this year depending on where I hunt. Having sweet clover everywhere last year was nice. We have a smelly ass slough near by but that may be too much for a guy to handle.

Buckmaster the ones you listed along with sweet clover are perfect and my wife likes the manly smell...if you know what I mean:eek:! May have to start selling it as ND cologne.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago, Homeland Security tested the carbon-lined clothing and scent-killing sprays. They suited an agent as scent free as they could based on manufacturer's claims and he was quickly found by a German Shepard. Sprays and suits won't work for bear, because bear have noses like a bloodhound. Deer have noses about as sensitive as most dogs as well. Just keep the breeze in your face and stay downwind of the trail between the bedding area and the feeding area.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago, Homeland Security tested the carbon-lined clothing and scent-killing sprays. They suited an agent as scent free as they could based on manufacturer's claims and he was quickly found by a German Shepard. Sprays and suits won't work for bear, because bear have noses like a bloodhound. Deer have noses about as sensitive as most dogs as well. Just keep the breeze in your face and stay downwind of the trail between the bedding area and the feeding area.

I agree that ultimately this is the best.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
#1 play wind
#2 shower beforehand using non scent soap
#3 give yourself time to get to stand without rushing n getting all sweaty
#4 #1 is the only one that truly matters
#5 if u bought a ozonics I know you are guna swear it works cuz u just wasted a ton of money!
Just my 2cents

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75