SCI Pheasant Shoot Sept 7th

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
1723729126213-5b1e312f-8cf8-4c7a-84f5-f67f38569515_1.jpg

The SCI Red River Valley Chapter is holding its annual Fall Pheasant Shoot at McCollum's Hunting Preserve on September 7th. I have always really enjoyed this even between the Spring and Fall shoots we have done between getting out to do some shooting and connecting with other hunters. The morning is a European Style Shoot where everyone is stationed sitting in a very large circle with the birds being released from the center a few at a time (5-10 birds), then after a wave of released birds there are guides stationed around the circle with dogs that will go get the birds and at that time everyone moves over on spot this way if the birds are favoring a certain direction everyone will get some shooting in and normally you will end up near the point you started. I think it is a unique experience and reminds me of waterfowl shooting so you can look at it as a good warmup. After all the birds are gone through we go back to the lodge and have a tasty home cooked meal then if you choose you can go back out and walk for more birds with either one of the guides or bring your own dog (morning you dog must stay at your vehicle), I have done both over the times I have gone out there and the guides I have been with have been very enjoyable with well trained dogs. You can also just hang back at the lodge to sit around and visit, quite a few do this. All the birds shot are taken to a cleaning station while we are out and are cleaned and broken down then bagged and divided equally among hunters, I consistently have ended up with 6-8 birds. This can be a fun event for getting youth out or for someone that has mobility limitations that does not get to pheasant hunt.
If there are any questions or if you are interested in joining us in the fun while connecting with othre sportsmen and helping support our local chapter feel free to contact me by PM.

Attachments

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my previous post I also attached our flyer as a PDF poster if anyone wants to download it or share it

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bump. Still got spots available.
I should also mention that for the morning portion I normally carry 4 boxes of shells in a bag and a box or 2 in my vest. I know I'm not that good of a shooter but I have anywhere from 1-2 boxes left at the end, so lots of shooting opportunity. Most people that are there the first time almost don't believe it when one of us warns them until they are out there and running low

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What considerations are made for wild pheasant during these events?

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What considerations are made for wild pheasant during these events?
Huh? European hunts are fixed blind hunts typically arranged in a circle around some sort of cover (some with elevated platforms) where there are crates of pheasants which are then pulled out the crates and tossed up in the air to fly out over the guns.. ask me how I know.

Tinesdown

Established Member
So is this a where does this take place. I in the past know people with huge money would raise pheasant {williams county) They would grow chicks through the summer an realease in october Percent that would survive the winter would be zero. but cool idea also bob quail were a thing to raise. Some of these landowners are selling hunts early on in the season. You would have to be an idiot (out of state) or deep pockets to hunt there measly strips of crp backed by swails what a joke.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Licensed game ranches is where they hold these types of hunts.
Alright yeah it sounds like a pony show. Knew some people from Arizona that went an shot farm raised birds in mn. That is a joke to me the guys dont have legs strong enough to bust brush for wild birds but then again there isnt any place to walk up birds now with the e posting.

Tinesdown

Established Member
This might be over the top but before the gov posting i used to love to hunt rooster in a lot of different areas one area wouldnt produce 50 miles one way usually (always) get on birds those spots now are e posted. I was genarally just a strip out in a field but could count on having a shot play wind right sneek like u are deer hunting an bust a pile of birds. Its usually only one chance to kill big roosters but it was there if u hoof it out to the habit. But now i cant hunt anymore these spots are posted (fields) middle of nothing with out getting permission (good luck). I have not had good luck actually asking for permission it seems im not the ony one.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright yeah it sounds like a pony show. Knew some people from Arizona that went a shot farm raised birds in mn. That is a joke to me the guys dont have legs strong enough to bust brush for wild birds but then again there isnt any place to walk up birds now with the e posting.
No it has nothing to do with that. It’s something to do with friends and if people have dogs a great place to work on steadiness and retrieving. It’s a fundraiser for sci

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is this a where does this take place. I in the past know people with huge money would raise pheasant {williams county) They would grow chicks through the summer an realease in october Percent that would survive the winter would be zero. but cool idea also bob quail were a thing to raise. Some of these landowners are selling hunts early on in the season. You would have to be an idiot (out of state) or deep pockets to hunt there measly strips of crp backed by swails what a joke.
McCollum.JPG

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
No it has nothing to do with that. It’s something to do with friends and if people have dogs a great place to work on steadiness and retrieving. It’s a fundraiser for sci
Thank you. The concept is not very difficult and I have tried to explain everything. We actually don't make much on this event heck one year we lost money because we had people back out and the spots we gave free to active or retired veterans. I will say that the price we have to youth, women and vets is less than what we are being charged by the the owner. If I remember correctly our clubs Mission Statement is Youth, Women, Veterans as we are trying to build our club so that we can get more youth and women active in the outdoors/hunting/conservation and a way to say thank you to those that serve our country so that we have the freedoms to do what we do.
I will say that the birds that make it past the firing line in the morning and prior hunts are not necessarily a gimmie in the afternoon and when you go out to walk it isn't hard brush busting but it isn't all nice easy walking paths either, I would say the terrain is pretty middle of the road for challenging hunters and dogs. The fellowship every year is one reason I continue to go back not just fling lead and because I am a member. Just in case anyone is wondering this is also not a freebie to our board members either.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh? European hunts are fixed blind hunts typically arranged in a circle around some sort of cover (some with elevated platforms) where there are crates of pheasants which are then pulled out the crates and tossed up in the air to fly out over the guns.. ask me how I know.
That was very helpful. Should've asked you.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a 2 day bird hunt at Flint Oak Hunting club in Fall River Kansas. First day we shot pheasant, quail and chucker and shot the skeet range. Second day we did the European pheasant hunt and it was a blast.

Also been to Scattergun Lodge in Pierre South Dakota 3 times pheasant hunting. 6-8 guys would go out in a short bus 🤣 along with 6-9 labs in a trailer and walk millet strips 3 dogs at a time per strip and they would rotate dogs every strip we walked.

Google these 2 places to get an idea of what they are. Would love to go back to both any time.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Thank you. The concept is not very difficult and I have tried to explain everything. We actually don't make much on this event heck one year we lost money because we had people back out and the spots we gave free to active or retired veterans. I will say that the price we have to youth, women and vets is less than what we are being charged by the the owner. If I remember correctly our clubs Mission Statement is Youth, Women, Veterans as we are trying to build our club so that we can get more youth and women active in the outdoors/hunting/conservation and a way to say thank you to those that serve our country so that we have the freedoms to do what we do.
I will say that the birds that make it past the firing line in the morning and prior hunts are not necessarily a gimmie in the afternoon and when you go out to walk it isn't hard brush busting but it isn't all nice easy walking paths either, I would say the terrain is pretty middle of the road for challenging hunters and dogs. The fellowship every year is one reason I continue to go back not just fling lead and because I am a member. Just in case anyone is wondering this is also not a freebie to our board members either.
Yeah that sounds like the shit helping fellow people that like to walk for birds.iwas pissed about blocking land access in nd.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So any other people participating in this shoot? Sounds like a good time.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
We still got some spots available. I need to get with one of our members and get his list of people.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 120
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 38