Scope ?/preference

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my good friends only buys/has the mostly large 50 size or larger objective. I lean towards the 40. Mostly because you can mount the scope lower.

What is your
preference and why???

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like a scope mounted so low it makes loading the mag a bit hard. Firm believer in a "svelte" minimalist rifle which facilitates a good cheek weld. A jaw weld is worse than a reel crank on the incorrect side.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few 44s and a few 50s. I like to be able to see how many ticks are on a bucks nutsack before I shoot it, so I lean towards higher magnification than necessary usually.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on application .
Agree. If I am shooting a light 308 for example I like a 3x9 with a 40mm objective, and like svmag a good cheek weld for offhand. If I am shooting long range and prone I like a 4x16 or for coyotes etc a 5x25 with 50mm objective. Prone I don't want my cheek to even feel the stock.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you put this in vehicle discussion because your looking for something to shoot out the window easier

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still getting used to the new site. Regarding the vehicle reference I prefer no longer than 18 1/2 barrel and Ford mirrors with a 'Lets go Brandon' bumper sticker.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I bought an upgraded scope for dad's 30-06 and one for my 6mm I read up on what makes up a good scope. For instance is a 1 inch tube that much better then a 3/4 tube and the overall answer that most members posted on other forums is yes. The other is optics and where those optics are made is the most important aspect of a scope, that's why the high end scopes manufacturers today perfer glass from Japan even glass made right here in the USA is superb.
I went with a Burris 5x25x50 with a 1 inch tube on dad's 30-06 its probably too much scope for his gun and his hunting application. The trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 with tritium fiber optics with a 1 inch tube and is a really great scope with the illuminated sites fits perfectly on the 6mm.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer the better light collection of the 50. Especially at dusk or dawn.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everywhere I currently hunt is wide open and ~40MM will get a person certainly to legal shooting light so I use ~40mm for the lower scope mount and better cheek-weld.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I bought an upgraded scope for dad's 30-06 and one for my 6mm I read up on what makes up a good scope. For instance is a 1 inch tube that much better then a 3/4 tube and the overall answer that most members posted on other forums is yes. The other is optics and where those optics are made is the most important aspect of a scope, that's why the high end scopes manufacturers today perfer glass from Japan even glass made right here in the USA is superb.
I went with a Burris 5x25x50 with a 1 inch tube on dad's 30-06 its probably too much scope for his gun and his hunting application. The trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 with tritium fiber optics with a 1 inch tube and is a really great scope with the illuminated sites fits perfectly on the 6mm.
I am more concerned with the internals of the scope as its an aiming device not a spotter but that said Germany/ Austria are still number one when it comes to glass.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84