SD West River & Black Hills deer lottery results out .

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure wished South Dakota GFP would get their act together . Deadline for apps was 8 pm on July 20th . No reasons results couldn't have been out by the 21st . Kind of disappointing really !
image.jpg

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get it. Is this some sort of slam towards our NDGF, cause I will have none of it.:mad:

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whitetail buck tag in West River for me, just buying a point in the BH.

Are you going to try and eventually draw the any buck tag? I know a guy who has hunted there quite a bit and he said he's never seen a truly big mule deer there. Not to say they aren't there but I'm just curious what you're going for. I bought a point too this year and am not sure if I'll try and get the any buck tag or just whitetail.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you going to try and eventually draw the any buck tag? I know a guy who has hunted there quite a bit and he said he's never seen a truly big mule deer there. Not to say they aren't there but I'm just curious what you're going for. I bought a point too this year and am not sure if I'll try and get the any buck tag or just whitetail.

I had an any buck tag last year. I actually drew a second choice whitetail buck tag this year, so I'm good with that. I'll accrue a few points and then get an any buck tag. Last year was my first year hunting West River, so I'm still figuring out where to hunt.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
He was referring to the Black Hills Nanky, not West River. And I've heard the same Flatrock about mule deer in the hills. Not many there and most aren't big. For some reason I am trying to pull that tag tho, I had 7 points this year and was denied as a NR. It could take a long long long time and a lot of luck to draw it.

I had an any buck tag last year. I actually drew a second choice whitetail buck tag this year, so I'm good with that. I'll accrue a few points and then get an any buck tag. Last year was my first year hunting West River, so I'm still figuring out where to hunt.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
He was referring to the Black Hills Nanky, not West River. And I've heard the same Flatrock about mule deer in the hills. Not many there and most aren't big. For some reason I am trying to pull that tag tho, I had 7 points this year and was denied as a NR. It could take a long long long time and a lot of luck to draw it.

Whoops, my bad. No I am not holding out for an any tag in the Black Hills. I would have gone this year, but I want my wife to come with and with having the baby this year she has 0 hours of vacation left this year, so we're both buying points and the plan is to get a whitetail buck tag there next year, we will both have 3 points. She's never shot a deer before, so I'm hoping that we can get it done next year in the BH!

Ask Z Man a picture of the mule deer he shot in 2012(?) when I was down there, damn nice buck, but also the only mule deer I saw the entire trip!

Last edited:

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoops, my bad. No I am not holding out for an any tag in the Black Hills. I would have gone this year, but I want my wife to come with and with having the baby this year she has 0 hours of vacation left this year, so we're both buying points and the plan is to get a whitetail buck tag there next year, we will both have 3 points. She's never shot a deer before, so I'm hoping that we can get it done next year in the BH!

Ask Z Man a picture of the mule deer he shot in 2012(?) when I was down there, damn nice buck, but also the only mule deer I saw the entire trip!

Cool thanks. Yea I don't know if I'll wait for a mule deer tag. I probably only need a point or two to draw the whitetail tag though so I should just stop buying points!

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool thanks. Yea I don't know if I'll wait for a mule deer tag. I probably only need a point or two to draw the whitetail tag though so I should just stop buying points!

With the point creep, I'd at least get 3 depending on when you want to draw that tag.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy that killed a 220 and change in the hills with his long bow (same dude that filmed the wolf in the hills last year and wouldn't tell G and F where it occurred). Everything he kills is big though so if there's a big one out there he's gonna get it. I've seen the biggest mule deer I've ever seen at the truck pull off going into deadwood, and I grew up hunting 4C. That being said you're gonna need some luck to kill a big mulie on public land if you don't know the country.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy that killed a 220 and change in the hills with his long bow (same dude that filmed the wolf in the hills last year and wouldn't tell G and F where it occurred). Everything he kills is big though so if there's a big one out there he's gonna get it. I've seen the biggest mule deer I've ever seen at the truck pull off going into deadwood, and I grew up hunting 4C. That being said you're gonna need some luck to kill a big mulie on public land if you don't know the country.

I don't doubt that for a second. Like you said though, for a guy to just show up and hunt, it is going to be extra tough to find a big one.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't doubt that for a second. Like you said though, for a guy to just show up and hunt, it is going to be extra tough to find a big one.
google earth and nice public land maps from the G&F have been a god send for me at least i wont be the blind leading the blind out there got half a dozen spots i wanna check out so far and the list keep getting bigger and bigger, hopefully i wont have to deal with a bunch of orange on opening day, but im not holding my breath!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year while elk hunting I ran across a group of nice mulies. The biggest was probably in the 175 class and he is by far the nicest muley I have seen in the hills. Some of the foothills areas can hold nice deer but this was up high in the middle of the hills. That said, I would not for a second hold out for an any deer tag in the hills. Needle in a haystack unless you spend A TON of time up there scouting. And even then it is a long shot. Even the any whitetail tag is becoming a 3 year deal anymore.

I drew my WR tag. Hope to apply for a leftover as well. We'll see I guess.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
google earth and nice public land maps from the G&F have been a god send for me at least i wont be the blind leading the blind out there got half a dozen spots i wanna check out so far and the list keep getting bigger and bigger, hopefully i wont have to deal with a bunch of orange on opening day, but im not holding my breath!

Yea some E-scouting will no doubt help a lot and give you some starting points. Even so, it's still going to take a few days of hunting to get things figured out. Which tag do you have? Good luck to you!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 212
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66