Shooting stick suggestions

Shedhunter72

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at buying a shooting stick and been looking at the Primos trigger stick gen 2. Has anyone used one and if so what are your thoughts? Not sure if I want a mono or a bipod. Both would work but not sure which one most like the best for their own hunting style.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was to get one I would go with a bi a little heavier but more stable to shoot off of.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried both single stick and bipods and none are worth 2 squirts of piss when the wind is blowing. I said screw it and use my hunting pack now.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're good for extra support for a bit of extension of the confident "8in circle" range in the awkward positions. They're useful for beating off dogs and snakes within the non-pleasure realm of contact. Rattlers may still inject venom but won't ejaculate their vile seed upon your Filson's after a good thrashing. You have to constantly anticipate the situation like playing pool or waste time adjusting the length before the shot: You're always effing with the deal and not hunting. NDW is damn right IMHE/O. I killed my biggest buck "out there" range wise from Prone Unsupported; the Stony Point monopod beside me on the ground; set about 3ft too high for the shot. I was actually high right but it worked out for some good ground shrinkage and a garage rack.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have used the primos gen 2 and find them a good walking stick. It takes a little practice to shoot off of them. I have an inexpensive set of vanguards that work just as well and aren't so dang heavy. Bipod on a rifle is another choice but factor in the weight. Pack is an excellent option if trying to save weight and is always with you.. I like my sticks over bipod for weight and the vanguards fit in my pack. Walking in the mountains prefer the primos as they are taller and make a better walking stick. Pack will be the most stable rest you can find.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purchased a bogpod tactical tripod sticks last year for coyote hunting and loved them. When deer hunting I leave my bipod on and use my pack for longer shots.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stoney-Point-Products-Steady-Stix-II-with-Belt-Sheath-Black/17284312

I have been using these for 10 years or so. Work well for some shots, others I still shoot over my pack. In my experience they work well if you need to shoot over some taller grass or short brush. I find shooting prone over my pack a bit more steady but that doesnt always work. For me these are more stable than shooting off my knees and for sure better than standing offhand shots. They aren't too expensive and they're light to carry. I usually carry them unfolded vs. folded and in the sheath. If you do that it is a good idea to wrap some bright colored surveyors tape around the top of one side. They're hard to find when you leave them on the ground after stopping to glass or whatever.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody used the trigger stick tri pod? Thinking they would be handy for tall grass/ sagebrush on our antelope hunt. I have used regular shooting sticks and they don't seem much better than just bracing on my knees for a sitting shot. Bipods are great for prone but not a lot of help when the grass is still tall. I like the idea of quick adjustment on the trigger style tripods.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody used the trigger stick tri pod? Thinking they would be handy for tall grass/ sagebrush on our antelope hunt. I have used regular shooting sticks and they don't seem much better than just bracing on my knees for a sitting shot. Bipods are great for prone but not a lot of help when the grass is still tall. I like the idea of quick adjustment on the trigger style tripods.

A friend of mine has them and I've messed with his a bit. They are steady and very easy/quick to adjust to whatever height you need. But, they're also heavy, large, and obtrusive IMO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 66
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 24