Shop/man cave project

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog sleeps on a bed of wood chips in his outdoor dog kennel, unless under 20*, then he gets the comfort of my heated garage at 58*.

I have tried to keep him in the house from time to time, but for some GD reason he wakes up like a toddler and needs to be let out at 4 am. Dont understand why a dog can make it through the night when kenneled in the garage, but has to go out when in the house..

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This looks amazing and is obviously one of a kind. nice!!!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=982]Dad[/MENTION] is that all grain bin metal on the walls in that last pic too? if so, how did you get it to straighten out? i've got three that i've been looking to put to use to some extent if possible.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Dad is that all grain bin metal on the walls in that last pic too? if so, how did you get it to straighten out? i've got three that i've been looking to put to use to some extent if possible.

no, for the walls I used tin off an old hog barn from the 70’s and early 80’s. It was horizontal on the hog barn so I turned it and went vertical. I wrapped the inside of the building 8ft up in case I get water into all the old holes. I also went gray white on the ceiling instead of bright white to better fit the look and feel of the rest of my finishes. Lighting was a lot more than I planned with the dimmable led, but really turned out nice with the 85” tv to adjust for movie night and football.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The store is blocked due to fraudulent activity and violations of Ecwid Terms of Service. If you made a purchase at this store, contact your bank and request a chargeback. For detailed instructions, please visit Ecwid Help Center.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The store is blocked due to fraudulent activity and violations of Ecwid Terms of Service. If you made a purchase at this store, contact your bank and request a chargeback. For detailed instructions, please visit Ecwid Help Center.

Thanks Davey yeah I wasn't able to purchase anything

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning on having a shop built this spring if material costs stabilize. Trying to decide between a traditional stick built structure vs a Morton Building / Eagle Rigid Span style building. Looking at 42 x 64 that will provide space for a heated workshop and the balance being cold storage for my toys. Any suggestions regarding general structure would be greatly appreciated!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First 2 things that come to my mind are 1) Cost and 2) ease of finishing the inside. After that make sure you either finish it the way you want or at least have a plan for easy finish later.

I know cost is important but I've done a couple of projects that I cut corners on and later regretted those decisions. Wished I had done it the way I wanted the first time.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
First 2 things that come to my mind are 1) Cost and 2) ease of finishing the inside. After that make sure you either finish it the way you want or at least have a plan for easy finish later.

I know cost is important but I've done a couple of projects that I cut corners on and later regretted those decisions. Wished I had done it the way I wanted the first time.

Last fall I requested proposals from two stick built (2 x 6 construction) and also Morton Building and Eagle Rigid Span. Surprisingly to me they were all within 10%. I plan on doing the partitioning and finishing of heated shop myself and would expect that stick build may be easier to finish off. Just wondering if there may be any significant advantage of a "Morton Building" style structure that I am missing.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Indeed DAD,darn nice and squared away,missing a couple things,man cave needs a shitter.....

And display case for your bling.,

jewelry (1).jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93