Small engine oil changes

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if I'm fussy about oil changes or needlessly clinging on to some poor advice from the olden days, or both.
I like to pull the plug on a warm engine and make sure every last drop of dirty contaminated oil gets out .

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know if I'm fussy about oil changes or needlessly clinging on to some poor advice from the olden days, or both.
I like to pull the plug on a warm engine and make sure every last drop of dirty contaminated oil gets out .
I tend to like old school ways myself but the only negative I can see with the sucking method is you can't see the oil sitting in the pan. A guy can tell alot by just visually looking at the oil and in the case of the vaccum method you really can't see it. Other than that you could probably get more oil out with the vaccum method vs the drain...just depending how long you want to sit and suck. I know for myself I stick the tube in and let it go until it's gurgling. Like I said in a earlier post I pulled the plug and 1 drop every 10 seconds is minimal and if I kept sucking could get it to zero drops.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get that too. On my Yamaha there is nothing left after I use the pump, I’ve pulled the plug to check. Maybe a tablespoon? Other engines could be different depending on how you get it set to depth and such. But I certainly do it with warm oil.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They must work better than I had imagined , I had visions of them leaving quite a bit of dirty oil behind.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, after changing oil in Ecoboost 3.5 ( 2019 new to me ), it is a fricken messy sloppy job. Thank god I looked at a YouTube vid and was a bit prepared but holey shit what a mess, would have been way worse if not viewed. Of the oil extraction tools previously posted, does anyone actually use for vehicle oil changes? It will be a must for me next time.
Please sell me on yours - - Go !

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, after changing oil in Ecoboost 3.5 ( 2019 new to me ), it is a fricken messy sloppy job. Thank god I looked at a YouTube vid and was a bit prepared but holey shit what a mess, would have been way worse if not viewed. Of the oil extraction tools previously posted, does anyone actually use for vehicle oil changes? It will be a must for me next time.
Please sell me on yours - - Go !
I use mine all the time on all things with oil..harbor freight green one. Air compressor is needed for it though.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just pay $77.00 per vehicle(2 vehicles), twice a year, to have the oil and filter changed.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just pay $77.00 per vehicle(2 vehicles), twice a year, to have the oil and filter changed.
Will also be used for boat motor, atv, 2 lawnmowers, snowblower, tiller, pressure washer and that about does it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought one of these for the jetski and use it for everything now!
Screenshot_20231201_214415_Chrome.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93