Smoked Turkey

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know the cheapest place to get smoked turkey's in the BisMan area? :;:huh
See that Butcher Block Meats in Mandan has them for $3.29 per pound and they are 10 pound average.
3be Meats in Bismarck has them for $4.49 pound.
Man i like smoked turkey! :;:thumbsup

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grab some smoke salt ,jerky seasoning and what ever else you have for spices in the cupboard that look good , Take a regular turkey and slide your hand between breast meat and skin and pull it loose then cut skin up the middle and pull back and smear the breasts and the whole turkey with spices then cover with slices of smoked bacon and pull the skin back over and use toothpicks to hold it in place and cover with tinfoil and put back in the fridge for a day then bake till done. Once done take off the tinfoil and broil the white bird till it's golden. The taste will be golden too, Try it and report back and tell me if I was pulling your leg.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just get some really big papers and smoke them yourself.

:;:smokin

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's an easy peasy way to do your own.

Smoked turkey in a bucket.

1-bottle of liquid smoke
1 cup tender quick
1/2 cup canning salt
1- clean 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of cold water

Pierce/poke turkey with an meat fork. Put ingredients into the water in the bucket, and stir until salt is dissolved. Put turkey in bucket and add extra water if needed, to cover the turkey. Put in a cool place. Grab turkey by the legs every so often and swish around. I usually let the turkey soak for 24 to 48 hours. The longer the better.

Put turkey in an oven bag and bake like a normal turkey.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to try that method I'm a fan of liquid smoke , some brands I like and some not so much. Wrights is what I like for jerky but last time I couldn't find any @ Walmart. One thing for sure is that bacon juice soaks in and makes the breast meat so darn good I am almost drooling as I type this.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The liquid smoke I really liked was in a brown glass bottle with a gold plastic wrap around the top but cant find it any more.(can't remember the name) Now I use this.

e4aee403b0747b5ab3ce0a7503187328.500

Last edited:

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
20161225_115404.jpg

Personally I don't think you can beat the old Weber grill for smoking a turkey. I also soak it in Tender quick (No liquid smoke), but for 5-7 days. Then when cooking it put a water pan under the bird, surround it with charcoal and woods chips. The juices literally run out of the bird on the first slice.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much tender quick do you put in the water when you brine it?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much tender quick do you put in the water when you brine it?
I put in a cup and a half or if it's a real big bird 2 cups. It's seems like they'll only take on so much as I've never had one overly salty. I would much rather use Sugar Cure, but have a heck of a time finding it in grocery stores.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 58
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 18