Snapping turtle

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well our lake has only had a couple snappers in it the last 30 or so years but this year we either have a number of them or one that moves around fast since I've seen two yesterday in five minutes and a hundred yards apart going opposite direction. Kinda odd seeing them up on top swimming compared to sulking along the bottom like I'm used to. Problem is they like to hide in the weeds and one person has already stepped on one but was lucky and fast enough to get his foot out of the way as the turtle spun to bite his foot so needles to say the neighbors with kids would prefer them to be moved out. Guessing when the drainage ditch dried out this spring it forced a number of them to seek out new water....lucky us.

Hung a dead carp on 200 pound line last night from the dock to see what would happen and this morning the line was snapped and all but a few scales and a swimbladder from the carp was gone. Anyone here ever put out set lines for them or any other catching technique? Don't want to kill them just get them out of the lake so going to try and catch them. Used to catch them all the time in the james and Sheyenne but this will be more of an overnight type setup that I can check in the morning. Thinking I will use a few bluegills or chunks of carp for bait with a decent sized hook hidden inside unless anyone of you has a better idea.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt swim in there with them things living in there. Certainly wouldn't let the kids swim in there. Little Tommy might end up with a nik-name like Little Tommy Two Toes.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't have much fear of them in swimming water since I used to swim all the time in the Sheyenne where there were tons that is till i heard about the stepping on one in the weeds then seeing one hiding in some off our dock. If these were just little guys it wouldn't be so bad but since they are fairly big it's time to do a little lake cleaning.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt swim in there with them things living in there. Certainly wouldn't let the kids swim in there. Little Tommy might end up with a nik-name like Little Tommy Two Toes.

or little tammy...

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't try to catch a ND snapping turtle to hard, you can only take 1 a year!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can catch as many as you want you can only keep and kill one.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a turtle trap would be better suited to your pursuit. And good luck getting rid of them- take them far, far, away before you release them.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get g&f permission first since season is July 1 and no set lines. Try para cord through a BIG circle hook (if you can get it through the eye) They'll find/eat anything you use from the raw meat family. I had a couple break something like 80lb braid if I remember right. Old pheasant breast from the bottom of the deep freeze worked that time...kinda

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get g&f permission first since season is July 1 and no set lines. Try para cord through a BIG circle hook (if you can get it through the eye) They'll find/eat anything you use from the raw meat family. I had a couple break something like 80lb braid if I remember right. Old pheasant breast from the bottom of the deep freeze worked that time...kinda
The one way I know i can get them effectively without hurting them is to put a fish or two out on a stringer then pull it in slowly when the turtle starts to eat them. Most times the turtle won't let go and you can just net them. Problem is you have to be there watching it for it to work. It's kind of an odd setup since I can fish anyway I want and use any bait I want since the lake is privet but would assume that once caught the turtle unlike the fish would fall under game and fish rules like a duck or muskrat would. Although I'm not 100% sure they could force a person to put it back in a private pond....could definitely say no putting in another lake though. Hell could just drop it into the storm drain and the turtle would be back in the drainage ditch that now has water in it again. Needless to say this whole thread is purely academic and I'm pretty sure if anyone ever did get a turtle it would end up being a none fatal version of the 3 S rule.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They sink in a stream of small aquarium-like bubbles...I'm sorry you're forced to handle this perplexing dilemma.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're like beaver, if you see two there's probably a dozen you don't see. Most will avoid a confrontation if you stumble across them. However, I did have one get pissy with me this spring. She was migrating across a field towards my yard. I got her turned around and sent her back where she came from.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
All one has to do is pick up by the tail. Seriously. Then you're left with the poser of a citation for ANS spread.

- - - Updated - - -

Will ZM attach to tiger salamanders?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
zebras do like tigers;:;banghead

My point being: If they attach to the insects in the photos designed to scare retards; why not amphibians?

- - - Updated - - -

Can they pass though a bird's digestive system unscathed?

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a nice snapper or a nice beaver, I wouldn't complain.

I'm considering surgery to have better employment opportunity.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't intend to derail. Sorry. Choo Choo onward.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 236
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55